This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

My face is not perfect and neither am I. 

Acne. Ugh something I thought I would grow out of but instead I grew into. For the last two years my face has been covered in red blemishes. It has driven me insane, and I have tried just about everything to fix it. I am a vegan. I drink plenty of water (only one cup of caffeine. I workout nearly everyday. I have been to the dermatologist. And yet this this feels completely out of my control.

I need straight As, stellar recommendations, a fit body, my dream job, the best looking boyfriend, and tons of friends, with a side of curly fries please. Perfection is what I am after. I want it all. The perfect life. I want to be perfect! What girl doesn’t?!  But I have to embrace the skin I am in flaws and all. There are things about ourselves we can never change. Embracing things I cannot change takes the pressure off. I cannot change my face, body structure, or my brain.  It’s mine, and I love it. If I can’t love it how can I expect anyone else to love it. 

I took the makeup off. I Stopped hiding my blemishes. Raw and uncovered. At times I am tempted to cake my face with cream powder once more. Honestly, some days I just feel like I need it. Insecurities creep in and the desire to strive for perfection comes back. But I am slowing become comfortable with my natural self flaws and all. I can filter my life and put a caption on it, but living real. 

I stopped putting myself in situations where I don’t feel I belong. I stopped trying to force relationships and friendships. Superficial relationships just aren’t worth it to me anymore. I want everyone to think I am great but I am tired of feeling exhausted from putting on the face of “I’m fine” when I am clearly not. Where are my makeup wipes because I need to take this pretentious attitude off, it is not who I am. I am real, I am imperfect, and I am undeniably incredible even when I wear my hair in a bun with no make-up on. 

I am learning to be real and untouched. Unphotoshopped. This is how I believe we were designed to be, yet somewhere in the midst of designer brands, expensive makeup, and apps that can make me look twenty pounds lighter I forgot about that. This photo above captured me while I was backpacking in Grayson Highlands. I was so afraid to post it because of my skin. Now looking back on it I don’t know why. 

A lot of people don’t notice my flaws the way that I do. I see everything. I become perfect when I accept that I will never achieve perfection.At the end of the day I have to be okay with myself. I know so many other girls who struggle with their appearance. Whatever your thing is about yourself that you hate, stop indulging that thought pattern of self loathing. I am not saying you have to love it right away. If I could wish my acne away I would, but I only have we only have one life. I am not going to waste it worrying about a couple blemishes on my face. Embrace you and I promise you others will too. 

Love, Morgan 

Inspiring others to be MORE by living life with enthusiasm, seeing the beauty in simplicity, and adopting a generosity of spirit. My goal is that other college students and people who have a longing for a deeper meaning to their life will be inspired to become all they want to be through the lessormorgan movement. Hi, My name is Morgan Murray. My biggest aspiration is to become an inspirational speaker. I am a communciations major and Leadership minor at ECU. I love Chipotle, my fish Enrique, hiking, photography, writing, speaking, yoga, singing, and running.