This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

My whole life I have battled with not feeling enough. Enough what? I don’t really know. When I first came to college, I was so excited. Those first two weeks were pure elevation. I felt enough. I stayed up until 3 am every night to hang out and chat, only to wake up at 8am for my English class, and I never felt sleepy. I had tons of friends. I hardly ever stayed in my own room.  The doors flew open and music blasted down the hall. My roommate was amazing, and my life was great. I always had someone to eat with, and loneliness was out of the question. Then everything changed.

I left the dorm. I stopped being invited to things. People never texted me back. I saw post after post where friends were hanging out just not with me. Life was different.Once again I was left feeling like I could never be enough. Loneliness crept in, and sadness began my friend. I don’t think I cried at all my first year of college. Now tears were a daily thing.  I realized that over the past two years I had done two things. First, I placed all of my worth in what others thought of me. Since I felt like I was popular in Jarvis Hall I felt on top of the world. Yet, when I realized that most of those relationships were superficial and forced I was left alone. The second thing I had done was allowing myself to become friends with people, who did not really care about me, but I was there and I was fun. We had so much fun. I was so happy because I finally had friends. In high school there were not a lot of people I felt like I could relate to, and I was so ready to get out and start new. I picked the first lot I was handed. BIG mistake. I had placed so much of myself into these friendships that when they were gone I felt as though I had nothing.

I tried really hard to make new friends, when the old ones left. I wanted to feel a part of something again. Like a group, squad, or clique. Yet, it seemed that the harder I tried the more I felt like I did not belong. Then I threw my hands up in the air and gave up. I gave up trying to please everyone and started doing my own thing. After first the change was small. I began working out, doing meditation, yoga, and taking care of myself. I started spending a lot of time on my passions like photography, my website, and of course school.  Even my writing changed. I began to write topics I was interested in, rather then what I thought others would read. Topics that are new rather than topics that are popular on Pinterest. I found that my creative side was hiding because I was trying to follow in the footsteps of others. The difference between a leader and a follow is simple. A leader finds their own path, believing it is the right one without the approval of others. Followers do what is popular and what will get likes. I had turned into a follower desperate and dependent on relationships. It is crazy that I became myself, when I lost everyone around me. It made me focus on what really mattered, what I really wanted, and who I want to be in life.

I want to be someone who does not have superficial friends. I want to care about people, not because I could gain from them, but because I love them unconditionally. I want to stop categorizing people, thinking I am less or greater than someone based off of intelligence, appearance, social status, ect. I want to see everyone equally, and I am starting to.

Once I gave up trying too hard to fit in I found genuine relationships. I am becoming vulnerable and real and liking the rawness of it all.  Finding I can be myself without constantly seeking the affirmation from others. I realized that I am enough, and I love myself enough to always be myself. I stopped going places I did not belong. I stopped forcing friendships. I realized that I am worth it, regardless of what others think of me. My value is not determined by anyone but myself. I began to chase after the life I want again. I am never going to live like that again.

Here I am.

I am enough.

And so are you.

Inspiring others to be MORE by living life with enthusiasm, seeing the beauty in simplicity, and adopting a generosity of spirit. My goal is that other college students and people who have a longing for a deeper meaning to their life will be inspired to become all they want to be through the lessormorgan movement. Hi, My name is Morgan Murray. My biggest aspiration is to become an inspirational speaker. I am a communciations major and Leadership minor at ECU. I love Chipotle, my fish Enrique, hiking, photography, writing, speaking, yoga, singing, and running.