Campus Cutie: Meet Lena Nazzal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

You may recognize her from giving campus tours, helping out at the athletic events, tutoring local children, or from volunteering with people who have disabilities. But when this fun-loving girl isn’t freely volunteering her time, you can find her on the Internet looking for her newest elephant décor or searching through Facebook for any videos of these majestic mammals. This week’s Campus Cutie is Lena Nazzal: a girl who is constantly looking for a way to improve our campus and community.

Name: Lena Nazzal

Hometown: Greensboro, North Carolina

Year: Junior

Major: Speech and Hearing Sciences

Favorite Animal: Elephants (if you didn’t already figure that out)

Favorite Color: Purple

Favorite Food: Tacos

Favorite Quote: “When you dedicate your heart and mind to something special, the possibilities are endless.” -Lena Nazzal

Favorite Movie: Avatar

Favorite Season: Fall

Fun Fact: When I was younger I auditioned to be in a Skippy Peanut Butter commercial. Got offered the job, but decided acting wasn’t my forte.

HC: What made you want to attend ECU?

Lena: While doing my college searches, I wanted to find a place that had an amazing program for my major, as well as had a strong feeling of camaraderie and school spirit. When I toured ECU for the first time, I found out that not only did they have a great Speech-Language Pathology program, but I also felt at home. When I found out that the Trustees Fountain glows purple at night, heard the purple and gold chant, and was told that the Starbucks baristas put purple whipped cream on your fraps on Fridays before game day, I was sold. I was involved a lot at my high school and I wanted to continue that throughout my college career. ECU offered many different organizations for me to be a part of and some of my greatest memories have been made because of them.

HC: What organizations are you a part of on and off campus?

Lena: ECU Ambassadors, NSSLHA, and Book Buddies.

HC: What do you do as an ECU Ambassador? Is there an event that you have enjoyed the most?

Lena: As a member of the ECU Ambassador program here on campus, I get the opportunity to interact with incoming students and their families, work with ECU athletics and university affairs, and take part in multiple service opportunities around the Greenville community. One of my favorite events is the Special Populations Prom that we put on ourselves for individuals with disabilities. Watching them dance the night away and never seeing their smiles fade gives me such a heartwarming feeling. There’s just something about helping people that is so addictive and inspires me to continue growing into the person that I am.

HC: Tell us more about NSSLHA and Book Buddies.

Lena: NSSLHA (National Student Speech-Language Hearing Association) is an organization that involves speech and hearing students to come together and participate in events pertaining to speech and literacy. One project that we as an organization decided to do is called Little Free Library. We took an old metal newspaper box and turned it into something that holds children’s books so that the kids at H. Boyd Lee Park and Paramore Park can read while they’re there or even take them home to read and bring them back.  This provides children a chance to read while having a fun day at the park, as well as giving children that may lack resources an opportunity to enjoy books at their leisure. Book Buddies is a program where volunteers come in and help underprivileged youth with reading and math skills. The one girl that I tutor comes from a family that cannot speak fluent English. When it comes to needing help with homework, her parents are unable to properly assist her. After school, she comes to a church in Greenville with other students like her, and I meet with her one-on-one to help improve her reading skills as well as with any homework. When I heard about a program that strives to help kids in need and also closely relates to my major, I was compelled to immediately do what I could.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Lena: After graduate school, I am hoping to obtain a job at a practice that hires speech-language pathologists that go out to children’s homes, daycares, and Head Start programs to provide therapy. I feel like going out to the children’s homes and being in their natural setting is more beneficial for the kiddos to gain progress due to them feeling more comfortable in their environment. As far as my life outside of work, I see myself in a committed relationship and beginning to think about starting a family. Family is one of my core values and it’s always been a dream of mine to start a family of my own.

HC: Who are the people that have inspired you most and have gotten you where you are today?

Lena: Hands down mom and dad.  Throughout my whole life, no matter what obstacles came my way, they were always my rock. Especially when it came to what I wanted to be when I grew up. They were always so supportive in whatever my little heart decided. It went from doctor, to teacher, to even an orthodontist, but then I realized 12 years of school was too much for my liking. In the end, I decided on something that combines teaching and my passion for children. My parents couldn’t be more proud.

HC: What is one vacation you will never forget?

Lena: When I was younger, my dad and extended family surprised me with a trip to the Bahamas. We got to stay at the Atlantis hotel (ya know, the one that’s on all the commercials), and it was the most amazing trip. I got to experience the beautiful beaches and all the aquatic life, my favorite being the dolphins. We got the chance to swim with them and mine was named Gumbay (exotic…I know). It was one of the most memorable experiences and I will never forget it.

HC: Describe your perfect date.

Lena: My ideal date would include lying on a blanket, looking up at the stars, talking about life, and eating chocolate covered strawberries (I might’ve watched too many episodes of the Bachelor). But in all honesty, having a nice home cooked meal and spending quality time with one another is just as perfect.

HC: If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

Lena: Telekinesis. I would totally use this to my advantage when I don’t feel like getting up to grab something or if I just want to utterly scare someone. Don’t act like you all can’t relate to this.

HC: If you could only wear one outfit for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Lena: Probably like some comfy yoga pants and a T-shirt. I always like to be comfortable when possible, but wearing one outfit for the rest of your life is a tough one!

HC: What Disney movie does your life most closely relate to?

Lena: I would say Cinderella because throughout all of her hard work and tough obstacles, she stayed true to who she was and kept dreaming her dream.  In my life, it’s been a long journey to get to where I am today, and if I didn’t persevere then I wouldn’t be where I am now. Just goes to show, dreams really do come true.

Writing. Living. Loving. Laughing. Eating.