7 Christmas Movies To Get You Through To Christmas Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

I know it’s that time of the year where you’d like to sit on your couch and not leave for the rest of the year and hey, I think that’s okay. Finals are in full swing and you’re about at your wits end with studying and tests, so spend all the time that you need on the couch. Now, you could turn to Hallmark and watch their endless Christmas movies that are full of predictability, or you can turn to this list of seven Christmas movies that are guaranteed to make your lazy days feel merry and bright and to help you through the next seven days until Christmas break officially begins!

1. A Christmas Story

This is an ultimate classic even if you’ve never seen the movie itself I’m almost positive that you have heard the term, “you’ll shoot your eye out, kid!” at some point in your years on this earth. The movie is set in the 1940s with the main character being a teenager named Ralphie who is struggling with school, his family, a lamp shaped like a leg, cussing and pink bunny pajamas from his aunt. This movie can be seen starting at 8 PM on TBS every Christmas Eve and it runs for a full 24 hours. This is a crowd favorite at my house every year, we might actually watch it straight through for 24 hours… Maybe we’re a bit obsessed.

2. Elf

This one has only graced the earth for what seems like a short 13 years but it has easily made its way into everyone’s home during the holidays. Will Ferrell stars at Buddy the elf who happens to be an oversized elf in comparison to the others. He moves to New York City to find his biological father. Santa finds himself in trouble days before Christmas so Buddy takes lead to help Santa save Christmas. This used to be watched every Christmas day during my family’s Christmas get together, it’s a crowd pleaser.

3. The Santa Clause

The Santa Clause is a movie begins with a divorced dad, Scott Calvin (Tim Allen), and the events that take place while he has custody of his son on Christmas Eve. Scott accidentally knocks a man in a Santa suit of the roof and then he is magically transported to the North Pole, where Scott is informed that he must take Santa’s place before the next Christmas. Now, this movie has two more based off of it, but there’s nothing like the original movie, I’m sure most of you have already seen it but make sure to give it a watch this season.

4. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

I would list all of the clay animation movies on this list if I could because they are probably my top favorite Christmas movies, but I decided to narrow it down to just Rudolph for the sake of this list. We all know the plot of Rudolph, he’s a misfit reindeer who can’t join in any of the reindeer games because of his bright and shining red nose. He teams up with an elf named Hermey, and together they find an island of misfit toys. Rudolph vows to see if he can get Santa to help the toys out. In the end he helps Santa’s sleigh since it’s foggy outside. The 1964 edition of this movie is my favorite. You can normally find this being played on ABC during the holidays. Everyone loves the clay animation movies, there’s something about them that teleports you back to when you were five drinking hot chocolate and watching them by the Christmas tree with your parents.

5. Home Alone

Now I think it’s fair to say that this movie may not have the same Christmas feel as all of the others on this list but nonetheless, it is still a classic. Kevin McCallister is the main character of this movie, he’s a young kid who happens to be left at home while the rest of his family heads off for vacation in Paris, France. He has the entire home to himself while his family is gone, but while he’s home he discovers that two burglars, Harry and Marv, are plotting to rob his house on Christmas Eve. Kevin works to stop them but making booby traps to stop them. There is also sequels to this movie, but this one is the best out of all of them (personal opnion). You can catch this on Freeform (previously known as ABC Family) multiple times during the holiday season!

6. The Polar Express

GUYS. This is easily my favorite Christmas movie. This movie is basically about a young boy who has doubts on if Santa is real or not. He ends up taking an extraordinary train ride to the North Pole, he gets to meet Santa while on the adventure, and learns that the wonder of life never fades for those who believe. Now I do remember watching this movie when I was in 4th grade and feeling a bit sad after, but there’s nothing like remembering that the magic of Christmas and it staying alive is left up to you.

7. How The Grinch Stole Christmas?

This is a classic. This movie has an animation spin off and was a book originally so you can fulfill all of your needs with this one whether you prefer books, animation or movies with real people. Jim Carrey plays the Grinch in this movie who decides to ruin Christmas for the cheery town called Whoville. The Grinch comes down from his mountaintop, where he lives with a plan to steal everything holiday-related from the Whos. Instead, he runs into a little girl named Cindy Lou Who, who decides to befriend him despite how he acts. The Grinch ends up befriending her as well, and his entire attitude changes back to how he used to be. 

Senior at East Carolina University, Communication major with a concentration in Journalism Lover of Jesus, coffee and good books.