This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

As some of you may know, Daya performed at Barefoot this year. While she has quite a few songs on the radio currently, I didn’t know much about her music or what to expect while sitting on the Mall waiting for her to come out. After watching her perform and listening to her lesser-known songs, I immediately transformed into one of her biggest fans. Here are the reasons why: 

1. She doesn’t take any guy’s crap 

In her song Thirsty, she calls out a guy for coming across way too strong and, frankly, inappropriate. She basically tells him that no girl likes a guy who doesn’t come across with a real personality and that he needs to back up. I’m sure any girl would agree with her when she tells him that he needs to go get himself some Gatorade. 

2. She doesn’t care what anyone thinks

Talk is all about how she has zero tolerance for wasting her time worrying about what other people say and think. In fact, since people are going to say what they want to say anyway, she says they can go ahead and they can even stare at her because she’ll give them something to talk about.  

3. She keeps it real in relationships

Love Of My Life is a breakup song to a guy who just doesn’t make her feel that special spark. The song assures us that he’s a genuinely sweet guy but she isn’t going to waste her time anymore on someone that she could only simply like for the rest of her life. Daya is looking for the real love of her life and she’s not about playing games or leading anyone on.

4. She’s not afraid to show what she’s capable of

If anyone tries to doubt Daya she will show you why you shouldn’t. In the song Dare, she dares the haters to dare her to do what they may think is impossible. She knows how strong she is and isn’t afraid to flaunt it. Every girl could use this song when needing a boost in her confidence. 

5. She refuses to obey certain societal expectations for women

If any of you are avid Pandora or radio listeners like I am, you’ll know this next one isn’t exactly one of Daya’s less popular songs, but it’s too good to leave out. Sit Still Look Pretty holds no mercy for any man who wants a wife he can control. Daya makes it clear that she won’t “wake up, in make up, and play dumb” and pretend that she needs someone who’s going to treat her like an object. She’s a queen who doesn’t need a king and she will not have anything to do with any man that dreams of coming home from work to a trophy wife. She’s capable of more than just sitting still and looking pretty. 

I hope you all take these reasons into account the next time you’re looking for a sassy, strong female singer to listen to! I promise you won’t be disappointed. 

Writing. Living. Loving. Laughing. Eating.