neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ways to sleep better!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Ways to sleep better!

We all have those nights where when our head hits the pillow, but our eyes just do not seem to close. We toss and turn, and try to even count down from 100 to fall asleep. Insomnia starts to creep us behind us and then your alarm clock goes off.

An article shares some ways that you can sleep better so that your health is not as risk. Proper sleep helps to reduce poor cognitive function, problems with concentration or focusing and increased heart disease. “Chronic sleep deprivation has lots of negative consequences,” said by Sonia Ancoli-Israel who is a professor at University of San Diego School of Medicine.

1.      Take a warm bath or even shower!

This steamy shower can be very beneficial to you and it will start to give you a sleepy feeling. Your digestion, heart rate and metabolism starts to decrease because of the feeling which allows your brain/body to slow down and help your chances of a great night sleep.

2.      60-minute wind-down

If you are constantly in motion all day long, it can be difficult to wind down at the end of the day in order for your body and mind to rest. Try giving your body a full hour to just relax (watch a movie, read a book, listen to music, etc.) and make it your happy hour at the end of the night.

3.      4-7-8 exercise

Inhale for 4 seconds à hold your breath for 7 seconds à exhale for 8 seconds

4.      Socks!

Put on the most comfortable socks you own because it helps to widen your blood vessels, which helps the blood to flow through, allowing the best possible temperature for sleeping!

5.      Don’t go to bed until you are really sleepy

If you are not sleepy yourself, then do not get into bed. Your body will not settle down which could lead to tossing and turning. The longer you just stay in bed, the more your sleeping pattern will start to worsen.  

6.      Practice calming techniques during the day.

Relaxing and learning some relaxing techniques does help you to unwind. It is important to practice them during the day so when at night you cannot sleep, you can use them. Often when our mind races the thoughts of why can’t I sleep?… start using the techniques you have learned during the day.

7.      Just get out of bed!

Lying in bed constantly worrying about not being able to sleep will not solve anything. Go into another room until you start to feel like you are about to snooze. The stress can start to build up from the never-ending thoughts, which can cause a delay in snoozing. So, just go to another room until you can wind down!

8.      Hide your clock

Do not look at the time or constantly stare at the clock! You are putting pressure on yourself on how many hours you have left, so put your phone away and hide that clock!

9.      Vent!

Vent on paper if needed. Sometimes what ever is going on in your mind needs to be spilled out somewhere. It should help ease up your brain and you should be able to sleep in time!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/22/health/fall-asleep-faster/index.html