SLAUGHTER OF THE SWANS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

SLAUGHTER OF THE SWANS

By: Fiona Maguire

The mute swan is a beautiful creature which is known for its symbolism of love and faithfulness. They stay with their one true partner for the entirety of their life, and some even die of a broken heart after losing their spouse. Many view swans as peaceful and pure, however New York city is creating a ten year plan to eliminate them. This will result in the mass slaughter of over 2,000 mute swans.

New York’s Department of Environmental Conservation has tried to defend the killings by citing their record of aggressiveness toward humans and the destruction they cause to the local habitat. Mute swans are an invasive and non-native species, introduced by Europeans in the late 1800’s to add aesthetic appeal to estates and parks. They are damaging submerged aquatic vegetation or SAV, as well as polluting the water. Flocks of flying swans also create a hazard for planes flying in the area. Of course swans can’t be blamed for the whole of New York’s pollution. In fact, the swans weren’t even in the top five for the DEC’s list of most prevalent impacts on water quality.

A similar problem concerning the mute swans is also occurring in Michigan, where there are almost six times more swans. The Michigan government hopes to rid the state of all mute swans by 2030, enlisting the help of residents who have hunting permits. There is also  concern that other native swans, such as the endangered trumpeter swan might be mistaken for  mute swans. Other ways they plan to exterminate the swans include capturing and gassing them or oiling their eggs so they are unable to hatch. Clearly these killings have caused a whirlwind of controversy among animal rights activists who are seeking more time to find an alternative solution, instead of  killing the stunning birds.

If you are against the slaughter of New York’s mute swans feel free to sign this petition online:

http://www.change.org/petitions/gov-andrew-cuomo-don-t-kill-new-york-s-mute-swans

Photo: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/30/nyregion/a-winged-symbol-of-love-that-new-york-state-wants-banished.html?ref=environment&_r=0

Fiona is a freshman from Boston, MA who is studying marine science and environmental studies at Eckerd College. In her free time she enjoys videography, figure skating, and ballet. Be sure to follow Fiona on instagram @fiona_brigid_!