Race, Rap and Reality featuring Mr. Chuck D

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Palmetto Productions and the Afro-American Society hosted the CPS event, Race, Rap and Reality featuring Mr. Chuck D on February 25th. “Intelligence has been silenced and it needs to be heard, so surround yourself with people who can lift you up. Don’t be the smart one who is silenced, speak up.”  This is just one of the memorable quotes that Mr. Chuck D, a former rap star with the group public enemy said last Wednesday’s CPS event. Chuck D’s talk highlighted the different aspects of life such as education, technology, race, and defying the communication barrier between individuals. He has tried to re-create the genre of hip hop and rap by creating his own avenue of producing artist on his website rapstation.com. Rapstation.com gives artists the ability to create a record label for themselves and fully thrive on their own. He says that his website “explains rap in the same way that ESPN talks about sports”.

Chuck D redefined rap music and hip hop culture with the release of Public Enemy’s debut album, Yo Bum Rush The Show, in 1987. It delivered a powerful message about the realities that black people were facing in the late twentieth century. With lyrical eloquence, Public Enemy has continued to stress the importance of history and self-determination in the forward movement of all who have been oppressed. Between 1987 and 2009, with Chuck D at the helm, Public Enemy has released 13 albums, toured 63 countries, and influenced hip hop communities, social justice struggles, and political activism throughout the world.

Chuck D’s group, Public Enemy, consisting of himself, Flavor Flav, Professor Griff, and Terminator X, was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013.  Chuck D has been working tirelessly towards his goals since becoming a member of Public Enemy, and has used his celebrity status to bring attention to the causes that mean a lot to him.  If you missed Chuck D’s speech, you can find the full event at http://www.audiomack.com/song/infinite-skillz/chuck-d-race-rap-and-reality.  Let Mr. Chuck D inspire you because he believes that we, as collegiettes need to give ourselves props as society does not give us enough credit for our intelligence. 

Makenzie is a freshman at Eckerd College in St Petersburg, Fl, where she majors in Marine Science and Communications.  Makenzie is a pretty big sports fan and a die-hard Buckeye since she grew up in the Heart of It All (AKA Ohio).  Makenzie enjoys long walks on the campus beach, late night adventures searching for Stumpy (the aligator on campus) and driving her friends crazy with stupid puns and corny pickup lines (that have never worked).