Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Eckerd Features

Real Life “Lost”

By Alexandra Zimmer
March 22, 2014 - 11:42am

Real Life “Lost” By: Alexandra Zimmer Around March 8th the Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 disappeared while on route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.  During flight the plane lost all communication and disappeared and the only trace that could be seen was an oil slick in the ocean suggesting that the plane went down.  However, there may be hope that the plane could still be found.   READ MORE

Python Navigation

By Fiona Maguire
March 21, 2014 - 11:32am

Python Navigation Dr. Shannon Pittman, a postdoctoral fellow at Davidson College is studying the navigation abilities of the Burmese Python. Pittman and her colleagues moved 12 pythons away from their homes in the Everglades and monitored their movements using a radio tracker. Because snakes don’t have limbs for easy attachment like birds or turtles they had to put them under anesthesia and implant the tracker within the body. Knowledge of how the Burmese Pythons navigate may give insight on how to better stop their spread. READ MORE

California Law to Ban Orca Captivity

By Fiona Maguire
March 13, 2014 - 11:12am

READ MORE

Northern Right Whales and Colored Ropes

By Alexandra Zimmer
March 7, 2014 - 10:00am

Northern Right Whales and Colored Ropes By Alexandra Zimmer   In the New England area scientists are trying to figure out how to prevent northern right whales from becoming entangled in lobster ropes.  Researchers know that whales can see fishing gear that is in the water, however, researchers are trying to find ways for the whales to avoid the gear altogether.  The answer may just be as simple as changing the color of the lobster ropes.   READ MORE

A Discovery of a New Type of Coral

By Carolyn Griffin
March 1, 2014 - 10:30am

Earlier this month, a new discovery in the world of marine science was made. Marine biologists from the University of Costa Rica were teamed up with other experts from the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute doing fieldwork in Peru. Approximately 25 meters down near the Isla San Gallan, a new species of coral was discovered. The species was formally named Psammogorgia hookeri after Peruvian University biologist and saturalist Dr. Yuri Hooker. READ MORE

Under Water City of Heracleion

By Alexandra Zimmer
February 27, 2014 - 10:24am

Ever heard of the city of Heracleion?  Not many people have, and since the city has been under thirty feet of water, sand and silt, it’s no surprise.  The city was discovered by French underwater archaeologist, Dr. Franck Goddio back in 2000; however the excavation has been going on since and new discoveries are being made on this lost city. The city is located on the Mediterranean Sea in Aboukir Bay, near Alexandria. READ MORE

Winter Olympics 2014: Sochi

By Julia Tanquary
February 25, 2014 - 10:47am

The Winter Olympics Every four years, the Winter Olympics are held in the month of February. Luckily, we are able to experience the Olympics this year live from Sochi thanks to NBC. In case you were unable to watch, here is a summary of the most notable moments from the XXII Olympic Winter Games. 1. The Opening Ceremony READ MORE

The Great Barrier Reef In Australia Becoming A Dumping Site?

By Alexandra Zimmer
February 19, 2014 - 9:36am

Great Barrier Reef  The end of 2013 gave rise to a gloomy outcome for Australia’s Great Barrier Reef for the new year.  The Australian federal government approved to dump 3 million cubic meters of dredge spoil in the Great Barrier Reef Park.  If you are not familiar with dredging, it is essentially the oceanic version of highway building.  Large machines are used to dig out sediment from the sea floor in order for large ships to travel trough.  Where does all of the sediment that they dug out you might ask; well, this is where the spoil comes in.  Spoil is all of the dredged material that these large machines dig out and all of this material is going to be dumped in to the Great Barrier Reef....

‘Chameleons of the Sea’ May Benefit Soldiers on Battlefields

By Carolyn Griffin
February 11, 2014 - 10:10am

‘Chameleons of the Sea’ May Benefit Soldiers on Battlefields               On January 30, 2014, author Emily Tripp wrote an article about Sepia officinalis, more commonly known as the cuttlefish. These animals are known for their amazing camouflaging abilities. They have over time evolved to not even having a shell to protect them from predators because their camouflage is just that good. Cuttlefish are so advanced in this art that they are able to change not only their body color, but can also shift their body shape to imitate pretty much anything even by simply seeing a picture of it. READ MORE

SLAUGHTER OF THE SWANS

By Fiona Maguire
February 7, 2014 - 10:27am

SLAUGHTER OF THE SWANS By: Fiona Maguire               The mute swan is a beautiful creature which is known for its symbolism of love and faithfulness. They stay with their one true partner for the entirety of their life, and some even die of a broken heart after losing their spouse. Many view swans as peaceful and pure, however New York city is creating a ten year plan to eliminate them. This will result in the mass slaughter of over 2,000 mute swans.   READ MORE