Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Eckerd Features

Blood Moon

By Alexandra Zimmer
April 16, 2014 - 4:50pm

“Blood Moon” Monday (April 14th) night into Tuesday (April 15th) morning was this year’s first total lunar eclipse.  In fact this past lunar eclipse was a “Blood Moon”, the shadow that was cast onto the moon gave the moon an eerie blood red color.  The eclipse lasted about three and a half hours, but in case you missed it you can view another eclipse that is set to happen in October.   Missed this year’s lunar eclipse you can catch a GIF of it here: "blood moon" GIF from TIME.comREAD MORE

Sea Otters Can Get The Flu, Too

By Carolyn Griffin
April 11, 2014 - 11:29am

Sea Otters Can Get The Flu, Too             The infamous H1N1 flu virus that cased the worldwide flu pandemic in humans in 2009 has resurfaced once again in a more unlikely candidate. Northern sea otters living off the coast of Washington state have been recently found affected by this virus.  It has been noted that many different species of animals including ducks, chicken, pigs, and whales can carry human viruses, but this is the first time this has been found in sea otter. It's hard to believe since they are just so cute! READ MORE

Planimals?

By Carolyn Griffin
April 3, 2014 - 10:11am

Planimals? Until now, what we most commonly know as a sea anemone has been classified as an animal, but recent research shows that this organism is genetically half animal and half plant. Typically, the two classifications an organism must meet in order to be considered a plant are that they are autotrophic (produce their own food) and have cell walls in addition to cell membranes, as opposed to animals, whose cells are protected only by a single cell membrane. Though sea anemones do not meet either of these requirements, they have another characteristic that allows them to be considered half-plant. READ MORE

Real Life “Lost”

By Alexandra Zimmer
March 22, 2014 - 11:42am

Real Life “Lost” By: Alexandra Zimmer Around March 8th the Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 disappeared while on route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.  During flight the plane lost all communication and disappeared and the only trace that could be seen was an oil slick in the ocean suggesting that the plane went down.  However, there may be hope that the plane could still be found.   READ MORE

Python Navigation

By Fiona Maguire
March 21, 2014 - 11:32am

Python Navigation Dr. Shannon Pittman, a postdoctoral fellow at Davidson College is studying the navigation abilities of the Burmese Python. Pittman and her colleagues moved 12 pythons away from their homes in the Everglades and monitored their movements using a radio tracker. Because snakes don’t have limbs for easy attachment like birds or turtles they had to put them under anesthesia and implant the tracker within the body. Knowledge of how the Burmese Pythons navigate may give insight on how to better stop their spread. READ MORE

California Law to Ban Orca Captivity

By Fiona Maguire
March 13, 2014 - 11:12am

READ MORE

Northern Right Whales and Colored Ropes

By Alexandra Zimmer
March 7, 2014 - 10:00am

Northern Right Whales and Colored Ropes By Alexandra Zimmer   In the New England area scientists are trying to figure out how to prevent northern right whales from becoming entangled in lobster ropes.  Researchers know that whales can see fishing gear that is in the water, however, researchers are trying to find ways for the whales to avoid the gear altogether.  The answer may just be as simple as changing the color of the lobster ropes.   READ MORE

A Discovery of a New Type of Coral

By Carolyn Griffin
March 1, 2014 - 10:30am

Earlier this month, a new discovery in the world of marine science was made. Marine biologists from the University of Costa Rica were teamed up with other experts from the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute doing fieldwork in Peru. Approximately 25 meters down near the Isla San Gallan, a new species of coral was discovered. The species was formally named Psammogorgia hookeri after Peruvian University biologist and saturalist Dr. Yuri Hooker. READ MORE

Under Water City of Heracleion

By Alexandra Zimmer
February 27, 2014 - 10:24am

Ever heard of the city of Heracleion?  Not many people have, and since the city has been under thirty feet of water, sand and silt, it’s no surprise.  The city was discovered by French underwater archaeologist, Dr. Franck Goddio back in 2000; however the excavation has been going on since and new discoveries are being made on this lost city. The city is located on the Mediterranean Sea in Aboukir Bay, near Alexandria. READ MORE

Winter Olympics 2014: Sochi

By Julia Tanquary
February 25, 2014 - 10:47am

The Winter Olympics Every four years, the Winter Olympics are held in the month of February. Luckily, we are able to experience the Olympics this year live from Sochi thanks to NBC. In case you were unable to watch, here is a summary of the most notable moments from the XXII Olympic Winter Games. 1. The Opening Ceremony READ MORE