Matt Walker ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Year: Senior
Hometown: St. Petersburg, Florida
Relationship Status: Taken
Major: Interdisciplinary Arts

What is your favorite place on campus?: “My favorite place on campus would have to be the…hmm. I’m torn between the volleyball courts because that’s fun and outdoors, but also the Ransom Arts drawing lab because I like the models that we get in there that we have to draw.”

What clubs or activities are you involved in on campus?: “Another Man’s Trash. I’m also a Service Learning Intern. I founded the Community Builders of America ( or the CMA for short). I also host open mic nights…I think that’s it…”

What’s your favorite class?: “It’s actually Brian’s (MacHarg) class. Figures of Service in Leadership. I guess Brian and I are in the same page a lot and when he guides discussion I pick up on it. I don’t have any discussion based classes and I’m not actually enrolled in this class…I just go there for fun.”

What is the most played song on your iPod?: “God Make Up Your Mind by Cold War Kids…I used to listen to it on repeat through middle and high school.”

What’s your most embarrassing moment?: “When I was a freshman in high school, then a big fad was to pants people, one kid was notorious for doing it. We were all leaving an activity and he pulled down my boxers in addition to my pants. Fortunately most of the people were facing away from me…but I will never forget the face of one girl. She looked terrified. I don’t know what that says about me…or what that says about her. Hopefully it says something about her. But I remember being mortified and livid with my friend.”

What’s your biggest pet peeve?: “When people aren’t willing to comprise. It bugs the hell out of me.”

What’s your favorite dining hall on campus?: “I’m still on the meal plan so it’s the caf all the way. Team Caf.”

Favorites
Favorite food: “Sushi. There’s a great place here called Hooks.”
Favorite movie: “Pi – Darren Ornovsky”
Favorite TV show: “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. It’s the only show I watch.”
Favorite book: “It’s actually a collection of essays called Star Thrower by Dr. Loren Eiseley.”
Favorite animal: “It has to be an elephant. They’re very wise and ancient.”

Celebrity crush?: “Vera Farmiga – even though she’s a little older, I’m okay with that.”

What’s your idea of a perfect first date?: “A comedy show where I was asked if I manscaped – we got a lot out in the open right from the start.”

What do you look for in a woman?: I look for someone that is down to earth, is open, and has a sense of humor. They can’t be judgmental because my humor is very strange and incessant.”

Advice to underclassmen?: “Find your niche, don’t necessarily focus on academia as much as you do the people that you meet. Find people that are like minded and build connections. By the time you’re a senior you’ll have a repertoire of people you can look to for support.”

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.