Executive Vice President of Eckerd College Organization of Students: Jack Layden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Major: Management
Minor: Chinese
Year: Sophomore 
Age: 19
Hometown: Saint Louis, Missouri

Jack Layden (pictured center in photo above), this year’s Executive Vice President of ECOS (Eckerd College Organization of Students) was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule to sit down with Her Campus and explain his role in ECOS this year. As Executive Vice President, Jack has many duties to fulfill; he is in charge of the club heads and club fair, organizes Pizza with the President, and makes positive changes around campus. But most importantly, Jack runs the Senate; the Senate and the Executive Vice President really are the power house of Eckerd’s campus. Jack says that his involvement as Epsilon’s Senator and as member of financial affairs and intercollegiate affairs inspired him to be more involved in ECOS and campus life at Eckerd in general. As a Freshman Jack was inspired to run for Senate by the “Meet ECOS” event held during autumn term. Jack says that, “one day [he] just had an epiphany that he wanted to become more involved.

This year Jack has many great plans and aspirations for Eckerd. He is most excited for this year’s “Senate Dorm Olympics”. Some of you may remember the “Senate Dorm Olympics” from last year. It consisted of a single event, Capture the Flag, but Eckerd showed an overwhelming amount of support for the idea and has inspired Jack and the Senate to make the Olympics even bigger. This year he hopes that the Olympics will be better quality and consist of more events since there will be more time to plan. Later this semester we can look forward to an Opening Ceremony and at least one competitive event. The main reason Jack loves being a part of ECOS is not because of the cool events he gets to plan but because he enjoys how much control we, the students, have over the organization.

ECOS is run by students alone. There is no outside monetary support or members outside of the student body. Everyone has a voice and each individual  can make a difference. Jack said that, “[he] wants everyone to know how much power they actually have even though you might not be ‘involved’.” He advises those who wish to become more involved to apply for committees, ask the higher-ups in ECOS if you can help out, and make recommendations to your complex Senator. In addition to ECOS, Jack is involved in many other clubs and activities. Last year he was President of the Water Polo Club and is still highly involved. He is also the RA of Delta Copley. In his limited free time Jack enjoys digital photography. 

You can find out how to become more involved this Friday, 9/26 4pm Go Pavilion, at the club fair.