Eckerd’s Own: Casandra Castaneda

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Hometown: Visalia, California

Major: International Business

HC: Why did you choose to come to Eckerd?

CC:  The sense of community really lured me to Eckerd. Being from California I have toured countless Universities. However, at these overpopulated schools, I felt like I was swallowed amongst the sea of students, where at Eckerd I knew that I could actually be someone. Rather than just being a number on a campus, I could actually be a person and feel comfortable saying “Hi” to anyone.

HC: What has been the most memorable thing from your time at Eckerd so far?

CC: Some of my most memorable moments at Eckerd didn’t necessarily occur on campus itself, these moments occurred with the people that I am so grateful for meeting at Eckerd. I could name so many! I have been able to travel all around Florida, from Key West to Orlando and even Devil’s Den Springs. I was also able to travel to and sing in Miami with Tritones! All of these incredible experiences have stemmed from the wonderful people that I have met at Eckerd.

HC: What is your favorite hidden gem of St. Petersburg?

CC: Definitely Paciugo Gelato & Café. They have everything you could possibly want! They have coffee, gelato and even frappes. My favorite flavor has to be the Mediterranean Sea Salt Caramel. Nothing beats eating some gelato after a long day of classes and work!

HC: If you could spend the day with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

CC: I would spend my time with Audrey Hepburn. She is such an icon and is the definition of elegance. Not only was she an incredible humanitarian but she also had a way with words. I would love to be able to sit and have a conversation with her about her travels and the people she has meet along the way. Also I would love to hear her sing her famous song “Moon River”.

HC: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

CC: I would travel to Scotland. I actually have a lot of family that lives in Paisley, Scotland but I haven’t seen them in over ten years. I would love to see where my grandpa grew up and just experience some of my own heritage. 

HC: If you could live in one TV show or movie, what would it be?

CC: If I could live in one TV show I would live in Hey Arnold! That was my favorite show as a kid and it would be kind of interesting wearing the same thing every day.

HC: What are some fun facts about you?

CC: I know sign language

I sang in a concert with Pentatonix

My favorite movie is Sandlot and How the Grinch Stole Christmas and I can quote almost every line

I’ve been in over 30 musicals and plays: My top three roles I played were Ariel, Mulan, Mary Poppins

I was invited to audition for American Idol

Reagan is a junior at Eckerd College who hopes to work in wildlife conservation ,and eventually become an environmental lawyer. She is majoring in Biology & Environmental Studies and minoring in Coastal Management and Sustainability. Some of her favorite things include hiking, spending time with her family, and any activity on the water.