A Dual-Sport Athlete: Katie Arnette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Major: Biology

Year: Sophomore

Age: 19

Hometown: Murfreesboro, Tennessee Major: Biology

Last year Katie began her college indoor volleyball career; this year, she will participate in indoor volleyball again and Eckerd College’s newest intercollegiate sport: sand volleyball. Yes, you read that correctly, as soon as the sand season starts this spring, Katie will be a dual athlete meaning she will attend classes and play both indoor and sand volleyball. In fact, a few other girls from Eckerd’s volleyball team plan on participating in sand volleyball as well which is crazy because how many other student athletes can say they participate in two NCAA sanctioned sports? Also, the current women’s volleyball coach, Michelle Piantadosi, will coach sand volleyball this upcoming spring. 

Katie comes from an athletically inclined family. Her dad played college baseball, her mom played volleyball in high school and Katie’s younger brother, Benji, plays both football and baseball in high school. In fact, Katie was motivated to play volleyball by her mom in 8th grade. When asked who inspires her on the court, Katie named Priscilla Lima because she helped Katie grow not only as a player but also, as a person. Katie admires Priscilla Lima for more than just her skills as a volleyball player. She has “been a blessing” in Katie’s life and an asset to the Eckerd College volleyball program. Priscilla Lima will be helping out during the sand season. And Katie had the opportunity to work as her assistant coach last club volleyball season.

While she is currently focusing on the indoor volleyball season, Katie is excited to begin sand volleyball preseason in January. The transition to sand should not be a huge issue for Katie as she has played before, but there are many differences. In sand volleyball players cannot be as specialized since they play in partners. Players must play every position and be able to move quickly in the sand, which is much harder than running on a wood floor. Katie is excited to see what this season of indoor and sand volleyball holds for her and her teammates.

Come support the women’s volleyball team Friday October 10th at 7 pm as they take on Florida Tech at home. And be sure to come out Saturday October 11th at 4 pm when they take on Lynn University. You can even stick around after Saturday’s game and wait for Triton Tipoff! Hope to see you there.