This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Dance Marathon 2015: Do It For The Kids

A very exciting event is coming to Eckerd’s campus next month, and no I don’t mean Spring Break!  Eckerd College’s Her Campus Chapter is hosting the first ever Eckerd College Dance Marathon on March 28 from six in the evening all the way until six in the morning on March 29!  All proceeds from this awesome event will be going towards our local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital in St Petersburg, Florida, the All Children’s Hospital!

Dance Marathon is a national event that occurs in over 250 high schools and colleges throughout the nation, raising money for local Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.  These events can span anywhere from 12-40 hours long, and involve those who partake in it staying on their feet the entire duration by either dancing, games, or different types of entertainment.  The point of this event is to raise money for the patients, and spend time with the patients and families that the participants have been raising money for. 

Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals is a very worthy organization, raising over $5 billion since 1983 for 170 children’s hospitals across the US and Canada.  The hospitals then use the money where it is needed the most: children’s illness research, purchasing the most up-to-date equipment to properly care for the patients, and even paying for patients who are unable to pay for the care that is necessary for them to get better.  Nearly 62 children enter a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital every minute, and many others are already staying in those hospitals.  Thankfully for those children and families who need the assistance of these hospitals, the doors of all Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and always open, and the caring staff is always available.  For more information on these amazing hospitals you can visit http://childrensmiraclenetworkhospitals.org/About.   

For anyone who is interested in donating to this event, or signing up to be a dancer, registration is now open and you can sign up right here! http://events.dancemarathon.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=711

The cost to sign up is five dollars, however the first 100 dancers who sign up and receive a ten dollar donation will receive a free t-shirt!   By registering for this event you will also get free food and drinks!  Her Campus’s goal for this worthwhile cause is to raise $5,000.  So sign up, come out, donate, and dance!  Don’t forget your circus themed gear as well, as the theme of the event is circus!  Dance the night away and do it For The Kids! See you all at Fox Hall on Saturday, March 28 at 6PM for the Dance Marathon, and remember, we can’t stop, and we won’t stop.  #FTK #ECDM

Makenzie is a freshman at Eckerd College in St Petersburg, Fl, where she majors in Marine Science and Communications.  Makenzie is a pretty big sports fan and a die-hard Buckeye since she grew up in the Heart of It All (AKA Ohio).  Makenzie enjoys long walks on the campus beach, late night adventures searching for Stumpy (the aligator on campus) and driving her friends crazy with stupid puns and corny pickup lines (that have never worked).