Could climate change impact our health?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Could climate change impact our health?

The weather is constantly changing, and recently, President Obama said this is becoming a personal problem for him. His oldest daughter, Malia, was rushed to the emergency room when she was a toddler due to an asthma attack.

“Well you know Malia had asthma when she was 4 and because we had good health insurance, we were able to knock it out early and if we can make sure that our responses to the environment are reducing those incidents, that’s something that I think every parent would wish for…” President Obama reaches out for a better healthcare for the current generation and future generation as well. 

Dr. Besser met with the president and wanted to know why everyone should even care about climate change. The answer is because the environment around us can and often does cause health problems. “Keep in mind that climate change is just one more example of how the environment will cause health problems, and I think most people understand that,” are the exact words of the president.

A personal experience for Obama was when he went to L.A. back in the 70’s and he felt his lungs burn after five minutes of cardio outside because of the high pollution and fog. It is important that we start taking care of the environment around us and play it safe. Higher temperatures can cause high rates in asthma or even heatstroke’s, which will cause a public health problem.

Make sure to drink enough water and keep your body hydrated. Eat foods high in water content and try to stay in cooler environments or under a shade if you are outside.The President, White House Climate Change and Health Summit are all working on this issue.

https://gma.yahoo.com/obama-says-climate-changes-impact-health-personal-him-100124762–abc-news-health.html