Why I’m For the Royal Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

The Royal Family is arguably the envy of the world, an asset that few countries can boast: a royal family as celebrated, famous and widely recognised as ours. 

As a member of the public, I find the Monarchy fascinating.  Our sovereign, Her Majesty The Queen, has reigned for 65 years and as of this year is the first British Monarch to celebrate a sapphire jubilee.  The family is steeped in history; from marriages and births, to scandals and deaths that have shaken not only the family itself, but often the world.

Furthermore, the Royal Family is an attraction.  You need only arrive at the gates of Buckingham Palace to be met with the crowds of tourists who congregate there on a daily basis.  Every summer, the palace opens its doors to the general public for an exhibition, which I myself visited last year.  It was an exhibition of garments worn by the Queen throughout her life, including the gown that she was christened in, her wedding dress and even the pale pink dress that was worn in the famous James Bond stunt of the 2012 Olympic Games in London!

There are a number of members of the Royal Family that I especially admire.  The Queen is undoubtedly an exceptional sovereign, but His Royal Highness Prince Henry (Harry) of Wales appears to be one of the most personable and caring royals, echoing the charisma, charm and wonderful works of his late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales.  Although I was very little at the time of her passing, her charitable work, kindness, and not to mention her beauty captivate me, and I know that I am not alone in writing this.

I enjoy seeing coverage of the royal engagements, and Trooping the Colour and Royal Weddings are always spectacular.

All in all, I am for the Royal Family.  History cannot be bought and the British Monarchy has played a critical role throughout this, and will continue to do so.  Anyway, who could fail to love Prince George and Princess Charlotte?!