harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

We All Need a Little Light in Our Lives (Literally)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Now October is Octover (sorry), we are heading into the months that are shadowed by dark mornings and sombre nights. For those unlucky souls who have lectures or work 9-5, you may wonder if the sun even showed its face at all.

This somewhat interminable darkness can lead to Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), or “winter depression”.  The cause(s) of SAD are not fully clear, but it is currently explained by the lack of sunlight having a profound affect on an area of our limbic system, called the hypothalamus. This can then lead to disruptions in our serotonin and melatonin levels as well as our natural body clock. In other words, we are left susceptible to feeling down, fatigued and wanting to sleep a lot more than usual.

So, no wonder there are increased reports of depression-type symptoms as the days get shorter and winter draws in.   Even those who consider themselves as glass-half-full kinds of people may experience periods of feeling a little down or empty. Unfortunately, no matter how many packs of Christmas lights you buy, it will never be an adequate substitute for natural daylight.

Now, as we have to let the Earth do its rotating, all we can do is utilise the few hours of sunlight available. Take your lunch break outside, wrap up warm, and wander around for 15 minutes. Set out a little earlier, skip the bus and walk to your lectures. Go for a nice Sunday afternoon stroll along the river with a friend. Not only does this include light, but also a little exercise which is never a bad thing!

On the days when there are no opportunities and there is no break in the clouds, it is important to try to protect your mental health as much as you can. Whether this be something as simple as taking a shower in the morning, going out for coffee with a friend or even just smiling at a stranger – be the light in not only your own, but someone else’s life too!

There is no perfect world and some days you can’t shake off the blues, but always bare in mind that tomorrow is a new day, and may bring some light along with it.

Credits:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/e1/ab/d0e1ab95518eeba2c76f60146b1a4a7e…