Things it’s only acceptable to do as a Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

University is a time for many things; making friends, getting a degree, growing up. But perhaps what it is best for is getting away with things you would most definitely be fired for at work or receive looks of disgust from friends and family in the future. Here is a list of the most notorious things that you must enjoy whilst you still can!

Turning up to a lecture in last night’s clothes and make up.

If you manage to salvage an oversized jumper and shoes then the minimal effort at basic human decency will be greatly appreciated by your lecturer. Otherwise no one else will bat an eyelid, this is something of the norm.

Saying no to Recycling.

Using paper plates and cutlery for the entirety of your degree so you don’t have to ever wash up.  As long as you don’t mind the occasional death threat from the ‘Green Committee’, this new level of laziness is perfectly acceptable in the student world and it saves a remarkable amount of time.

Playing Quidditch.

Joining societies dedicated to fictional characters and sports raises eyebrows even within the student body but be sure to know that as soon as graduation day comes, being a ‘seeker’ for your university ‘Quidditch’ team is no longer considered an employable skill.

Ignoring the fact you’re in debt.

This is the only time in your life when £50,000+ worth of debt and the fact that you are unemployed can be forgotten about for three or four years. Instead you can blow your government aid on alcohol and ASOS.

Constantly sleeping.

You sleep for 18 hours because you can. You nap at 12 pm because you can. The freedom of being able to doze off at whatever hour you desire without the wrath of a parent or work at 9am is too overwhelming for some to handle as you witness in first year. If you’re not in a lecture, you’re most definitely sleeping, or you could be doing both…

Manners are not really a thing.

Your oldest friend from home has made the epic trek to visit for the weekend but attempting to share a single bed is out of the question. The only other option is to lie on the floor and it most certainly will not be you. This is one of the rare examples in life where entertaining a guest involves providing them with neither food nor bedding.

Not doing any work whatsoever.

You started the academic year determined to be the most organised you have ever been but this plan fell through within a matter of days. The fact you even manage to turn up to lectures is a miracle in itself, pre-reading is merely a laughable concept. You try to convince yourself that your university years are for life lessons and experiences and that the balance between work and play is crucial. Who are you kidding? Attending the odd lecture together with a few dodgy flukes here and there will get you through without a doubt.

Turning up to a lecture drunk.

A heavy night resulted in insufficient time to sober up and attending a lecture seems like a hilarious idea. You venture out in search of your lecture hall, having no idea where you are but the lecturer looks vaguely familiar so you settle down feeling immensely proud of yourself.

Living in squalor.

Having left your personal slave of a mum back at home, the state of your kitchen and room slowly deteriorates into an uninhabitable pit. One by one your friends stop washing their dishes, solidified milk stinks out the fridge and you haven’t been able to see your bedroom carpet in weeks. When friends come over, you don’t even have to apologise for the mess, its a given.