Quirky Easter Traditions Around The World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

What was a predominantly religious tradition is becoming ever more commercialised in the UK.  Soon after Valentine’s day shop shelves are gradually filled with an array of chocolate eggs of all shapes and sizes.  We may still reflect on the resurrection of the Saviour, but considering the ever-declining number of Christians in the UK it isn’t surprising that the first thing that often springs to mind when we think of Easter is a large brown ovoid in the distinct purple packaging of that ever-so-British chocolate brand we all love.

Easter does bring people together in the UK, but we lack the quirkiness and originality that you can find in another countries.  Egg rolling, egg painting, egg eating…you’d think we’ve never seen soldiers or a cooked breakfast before.  Other countries do Easter so much better (or more bizarrely at least) – here are some examples.

Processions

• In Spain, people dress in white robes and parade through the streets carrying floats with figures decorated to represent the Easter story.

• In Verges (also Spain), people dress as skeletons, parade the streets and perform a death dance into the early hours of the morning.

• The Brazilians do what they know best – a huge carnival with singing, dancing and exotic decorations.

• In Haiti, voodoo believers go on a pilgrimage and make animal sacrifices to show devotion to the spirits.

Food and drink

• In Colombia, the Easter dinner consists of iguana, turtle and capybara (the world’s largest rodent).

• The Swedes eat Jannsson’s Temptation – potato, onion and pickled sardines backed in cream.

• In Prizzi (Sicily), people dressed as devils pester as many “souls” as they can (for drinks) before the angels arrive.

• The Greeks enjoy a steaming lamb’s stomach soup followed by the rest of the animal roasted for dinner.

Fire, Burn and Cauldron Bubble

• The Portuguese light bonfires and burn straw dolls made to look like Judas.

• In the Philippines there are rituals in which half-naked penitents whip their own backs with bamboo and blades.

• Czech boys whip girls to grant them health for the year.  The more whips a girl gets, the more popular she is…

• In Corfu, people throw pots and pans out of their windows, smashing them on the street.

Other Random Rites

• The Bermudians fly kites, a tradition which originates from a local teacher using a kite to illustrate the Ascension to his Sunday school class.

• In Norway, there is an “Easter Crime” tradition which involves reading mystery books or watching TV crime detective series.

• In neighbouring Finland, sooty-faced children beg in the streets carrying broomsticks, coffeepots and willow twigs.

• Polish boys try to drench people with water.  According to legend, girls who get soaked will marry within the year.

And Finally…

We mustn’t forget the Vatican City, where the Pope holds a special mass in St Peter’s Square, and Jerusalem, where Christians walk the same path Jesus did on the day he was nailed to the cross.

Northern lass studying French and German (minor in Spanish) at Durham University, recently returned from a year abroad
20 year old from London currently on her Year Abroad in Paris. Follow me on Instagram for photos of Paris and other interesting things. https://instagram.com/charliecronin/