A Playlist To Get You Through The Easter Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

In between the inevitable binge sessions of crème eggs, Lindt bunnies and all-things-chocolate, Easter holidays are the perfect time to update our playlists during a period when revision stress has kicked in and our minds are drifting towards summer plans and freedom. A mix of soul, funk, rock and pop, this playlist offers a range of tracks to get you relaxed, focused and ready to take on the world (or, at least, summer exams). 

Love by Lana Del Rey – The lead single from the queen of dream pop’s hotly-anticipated fifth studio album. It stuns with its ethereal melodies and the lyrics speak of the beauty and simplicity of being young, uncertain of the future, and blissfully in love.

Holiday by Vampire Weekend – This classic Vampire Weekend tune can’t help but get you into holiday-mode with its vibrant, upbeat guitar riffs and drums. Listen to the rest of their album, Contra (2010), for more pre-summer songs in preparation for festival season.

Love Train by The O’Jays – Nothing like a bit of smooth soul to have a bit of a boogie to in between revision and summative stress. The infectious toe-tap that this song induces will quickly have you moving like Hugh Grant à la Love Actually.

54-46 Was My Number by Toots & The Maytals – They’re the band that coined the word ‘reggae’ back in 1968, and this easy-listening ska/reggae tune is perfect for when you’re driving, getting ready to go out or in need of a chill-out.

Science Fiction by Christine and the Queens – France’s coolest musical export sings in both English and French, and this track from her beautiful debut album, Chaleur Humaine (2016), demonstrates both her lyrical genius and international appeal.

Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac – Your parents probably have a vinyl from this pop rock band somewhere in the house. The track’s use of synthesizer alongside McVie’s voice makes this modern serenade an easy-listening classic.

Smooth Sailin’ by Leon Bridges – Often compared to the King of Soul himself, Sam Cooke, Rolling Stone likens Bridge’s smooth, retro voice to ‘the best kind of nostalgic trip’.

Weekend by Smith Westerns – Everyday can feel like the weekend when it comes to the holidays, and if you like glam rock, you’ll love this Chicago-based band who cite David Bowie and Oasis as musical influences.

Uptight Downtown by La Roux – The sassy synthpop keeps on coming from this Grammy award-winner who always manages to combine funk with her punk attitude and catchy beats.

White Tiger by Izzy Bizu – With its hand-clapping loop and Bizu’s charismatic voice, this song will have you yearning for long summer nights spent chilling with friends.

Luna by Bombay Bicycle Club – Written during lead vocalist Jack Steadman’s time in India, Japan and Turkey, this track from the London indie-folk band has obvious nods to the band’s world-music influences. It will have you consumed by wanderlust in anticipation for your summer travels.

Baby by Devendra Banhart – “Trippy-hippie tone poetry” is one way this Venezuelan-American singer-songwriter’s work has been described, and Baby certainly has that laid-back, carefree vibe that your holiday playlist needs for when you unwind.

What’s goin’ on by Marvin Gaye – Perfect for when stress is hitting hard, this track by the king of Motown himself provides some R&B relief with his signature, soulful voice and plucky lyrics; perfect if you’re in need of an ironic pick-me-up when you look at your revision notes and have no clue what’s goin’ on.

LA Calling by Crystal Fighters – This band is the personification of sunshine itself; now that spring has sprung, get this song blasting if you want a feel-good tune to remind you that summer is just around the corner. 

20 year old from London currently on her Year Abroad in Paris. Follow me on Instagram for photos of Paris and other interesting things. https://instagram.com/charliecronin/