absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The New Rule about Eating and Drinking in the Bill Bryson Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

We can now eat in the Billy B!  I could sing (I better not)!

Last term, the Durham version of the online student paper, The Tab, wrote an article that complained about the ban of food and drink in the Bill Bryson Library, with the exception of bottled water.  Food and drink could be consumed in the small café and in the entrance before the barriers.  Beyond the barriers, as students studying in the library are fully aware, are a number of comfortable chairs that would be absolutely perfect for a coffee break and a natter.  However, the natter was allowed, but not the coffee.  Students commented on this article, generally agreeing with the article, yet remarking how much of a first world problem it was!

Of course, there were students who had managed to scuttle beyond the barriers and the eyes of the librarians with hot drinks and snacks.  I myself am guilty of such a crime, and recall hiding on the bottom floor of the library with a friend, where hidden behind a high sofa, we quickly downed hot chocolates that we had smuggled in!  The café in the library is pleasant, though often very busy and so places are limited, and outside in the frozen north is not entirely appealing when you are attempting to warm yourself up with a hot drink!

This term, there has been a change and students are now permitted to eat and drink in the area with the comfortable chairs.  I had not appreciated how lovely this privilege was until today, when my same friend and I enjoyed a break from our studies and sat with hot drinks on the comfortable chairs. 

I do understand why such a restriction on food and drink was imposed, as spilt coffee and crumbs are hardly suitable in a productive, working environment.  The sounds of munching and rustling are especially off-putting.  However, I do think that it is very pleasant that we are now able to eat and drink while sitting in those comfy seats, and it is most certainly a welcome break from hours spent studying.

Oh happy days!