This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

It’s been a little under a year since I went with my Sixth Form to New York. I hate to be cliché, but it definitely was the most amazing experience and probably the best trip I have ever been on. So, I thought I’d reflect on some of my favourite parts.

Firstly, one of my best memories is of the Rockefeller Center. I actually didn’t really know what this was; I had heard of it and knew it was a huge attraction in the city, but having never thought I’d ever get the chance to go to The States, I never really took notice. If I’m honest, I’m kind of glad I went in ignorance – what I thought was going to be a cold, long night ended up being perhaps the best evening I had in New York. It was absolutely incredible. The feeling of being “on top of the world” really doesn’t quite cover it!

My next favourite part was the visit to a speakeasy. As we were an English class travelling, in the midst of studying The Great Gatsby (which happens to be my favourite book – I fell lucky!), this event was particularly relevant to novel. As expected, the speakeasy definitely had a 20s vibe; it was well hidden to the extent that we weren’t sure if we were in the right place. I wasn’t expecting it to be so dark, but in hindsight I think I probably should have expected that! It was really difficult to take any photos due to the lighting but we did manage to get one as a class, which sits on my desk at home. I actually felt like I had entered the world of Jay Gatsby at this point, and it was definitely an experience I will never forget!

Finally, my absolute FAVOURITE part of the trip was the New York Public Library. Never in my life had I been in such awe of a building! We were guided around again, so it was difficult to take photos. But if you ever find yourself nearby, I highly recommend taking a tour! It was so interesting. Also, the gift shop is one of a kind…You can even buy Gatsby T-shirts! I hope I have the chance to go back someday.