timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Durham Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Now that I have reached the half way point of my degree and in turn, the half way point of my time in Durham, I have compiled a short bucket list of things that I want to make sure I do before I leave.

Make the most of sports and societies on offer

With the stress of seemingly constant summatives as a History student, I never seem to make the time to try out the wide range of activities on offer through the student’s union. Uni is the perfect time to explore a new hobby and I want to make the most of this opportunity. Not only would it be a great break from essay related stress but I’m sure for the sake of my health and fitness my body would probably thank me too!

Optimise my flexible schedule

Being a history student, I have very few contact hours. I probably won’t have another time in my life where my working hours are so completely up to me. I’d like to make the most of this flexibility to invest more into my friendships – we won’t be all together for much longer!

Try out Durham’s independent restaurants

Surprisingly, I’ve made it this far without every trying out Lebaneat, La Tia’s or the Claypath Delicatessen. Although by student budget doesn’t really allow for frequent meals out, if the occasion ever arises I want to make the effort to choose restaurants unique to Durham instead of chains that I can eat at anywhere in the country.

Explore Newcastle (and the North East)

There is so much more to see in our nearby surroundings than Market Square and the inside of the Bill Bryson library. Durham may seem quiet and (I hasten to add) even a bit dull a times but we often forget that bustling Newcastle is just 10 minutes on the train. I have set myself the hopefully realistic goal of visiting one new place outside of the Durham bubble each term. I will be using this blog for inspiration, and you should too! Here’s a picture from Jess’ blog: 

Buy fresh produce from North Road market

For some absurd reason I haven’t ever ventured down to the North Road fruit and veg market. The benefits of shopping here seem endless; cheaper, less plastic packaging, supporting local businesses… there really is no excuse to keep spending all my pennies in Tesco!