This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Mademoiselle Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel, the audacious, visionary, beautiful woman, who so dramatically altered the course of fashion during the 20th century, undoubtedly knew a thing or two. 

As a Modern Languages student reading French and German, and an adoring fan of both the lady and the label (sadly a little out of reach on a student budget!), Chanel is an icon whom I have long admired.  Fun and quirky quotes are things that always make me smile, and the words of Chanel are no exception.

Her pearls of wisdom (quite literally, as she did love pearls so) are guidelines that I endeavour to follow and lead my life by.

A favourite quote is ‘keep your heels, head and standards high,’ which truly is music to my ears.  High heels are beloved by women the world over and even at a young age, I was photographed stumbling around in my mothers’ Bally heels, which were many sizes too large.  Reaching my teenage years marked the occasion of changes in my life, among them the arrival of numerous pairs of heels; red satin, raspberry ripple pink, leopard print, sparkling silver and vibrant coloured spots have been purchased over the last few years. 

In response to keeping one’s head raised high, undoubtedly life is never simple; challenges and upheavals are sadly inevitable, much to my disgruntlement!  Things can easily knock your balance, confidence and self-esteem.  I myself have had my fair share of disappointments and heartache, where finding the resources to get up and try again has seemed near impossible.  At times such as these, the ability to continue and to hold your head up high is frankly vital.

As an ambitious person, I set very high standards for myself, which through my own admission can be a double-edged sword.  I place myself under enormous pressure to succeed and to be the best that I can.  Oscar Wilde once said ‘I have the simplest of tastes, I am always satisfied with the best,’ – this mirrors my determination and utmost resolve to thrive in life and so, my expectations of myself can be sky-high.

‘A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous’ is a further quote by Chanel and one that I discovered upon receiving a card.  The simplicity of this line is brilliant and encourages girls to maintain an aura of elegance and beauty.  I interpret ‘fabulous’ as being kind and considerate and an all-round gorgeous girl.

So ladies, I will conclude here.  Although the merchandise of the House of Chanel may unfortunately be out of the reach of most of us, I hope that these words of wisdom from our beloved Coco are not.