An Interview with the HC Durham Exec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

This week, after not seeing any of the other members of the HC Durham exec since last year, I got in touch with them all to find out more about their hopes and plans for 2017.

My first question was, predictably, have you made a New Year’s resolution this year? If so, what was it? And if not, why not?

Jess: I haven’t actually made a resolution yet so maybe now would be a good time! I’d quite like to be more careful where I buy my food and use the markets we have in Durham better, rather than spending loads of money in Tesco all the time. 

Charlie: I never formally make New Year’s Resolutions, as I think if I promised to give up chocolate, it wouldn’t last long at all, as you always want what you can’t have! I normally decide to do more or less of something, so this year I’m going to try and drink less Diet Coke (a bad habit of mine) and go to the gym more!

Sarah: My New Year’s Resolution is to actually start a diet. Every time we have a Her Campus exec meeting it’s on a Monday (the generic Diet Starting Day for all consistently failing dieters, ask anyone) and there is always cake. So this year I’m going to find the inner strength to say no to the cake. 

Becky: To be more spontaneous and not plan everything down to the most minute detail.

Harriet: My New Year’s resolutions this year mainly centre around taking the time to focus upon improving my mental health, keeping up to date with studying and making sure I make the effort keeping in touch with friends from home more- gotta love a good Skype sesh. I am also determined to immerse myself in other cultures since the next academic year marks the start of my year abroad-hasta la vista baby!

Izzy: To cook more is a definite resolution for me- I’m so bad with it at uni! To continue working hard with uni and to keep up my fitness with rowing. Another one is also to attend yoga more!

What is the best New Year’s resolution that you’ve ever known someone to make?

Jess: I think the people doing Veganuary are very brave! Wish I could commit to something like that!

Charlie: I once read an article about someone who genuinely managed to give up all sugary snacks for a whole year, and I admire them as I could never to that!

Sarah: Ooh I don’t know actually. I suppose I have a lot of respect for people who give things up like drinking or smoking or caffeine, but I also think more ‘positive’ resolutions are good – instead of ‘giving something up’, you take something on – going to the gym, eating healthier, keeping a diary. I think those are the best resolutions to get a feel-good start to the year.

Becky: My Nana gave up swearing for an entire year (I’d love to believe her in the fact she’d managed it without any slip ups)

Harriet: A bibliophile at heart but currently drowning in French literature for uni, I am determined to start reading for pleasure more this year and I’m loving Barnes & Noble’s ’31 New Year’s Resolutions for Book Nerds’ (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/31-new-years-resolutions-for-book-nerds/) as a starting point-perhaps not the most ambitious resolution, but something important to me nonetheless!

Izzy: I’m not sure about this one! But more personal- my dad made a resolution to lose weight and after about a year and a bit he’d lost 5 stone! So that’s rather impressive to me. 

What are you most excited about for 2017?

Jess: At the minute I’m very excited to hand my diss in and be done with that! But otherwise, I’ve just booked a holiday to Barcelona which I’m really looking forward to.

Charlie: I’m excited for the unknown in 2017! I’ll be graduating in June, so I’m excited to see what I’ll do next after so many years in the education system! I’m hoping to do a bit of travelling and I’m also excited to start working rather than studying.

Sarah: Graduating. Definitely.

Becky: I’m going to be spending 3 months interning for a magazine in New York so absolutely thrilled that I’ll be on my way there in less than 4 weeks! I’m also excited to return to Durham in October to finish my degree.

Harriet: I’m so excited to travel this year and am keen to make the most of my year abroad both as an opportunity to develop my language skills and travel France and Spain widely. I’m also already majorly looking forward to festival season (yes, already)- Download and Leeds are calling me…

Izzy:  I’m also excited to travel this year! I have lots of travelling planned with my friends to all sorts of places and I am keen to enjoy that. Also excited about my course and where uni will take me this year! 

What did you learn from 2016 that you will take forward with you in the future?

Jess: I think 2016 has been a stressful year for most people I know, with people applying for internships, grad schemes and further education. It definitely takes a lot to bounce back from rejection and try again so yeah, I think I’ll be bearing that in mind as I go forward.

Charlie: In 2016, particularly after a few lows during my year abroad, I learnt not to worry and that everything will work out fine in the end! It’s easy to get stressed about things, particularly with all the work I have to do before I graduate, so I’m going to try and work hard but stay chilled at the same time. 

Sarah: Paul Hollywood is a snake, that heatless-curls-straw-method thing is not the one for me, and to wake up grateful every day. 2016 was a tough year for lots of people and I think it’s taught us all that you never know what’s going to happen (or when or why), so it’s important to be glad for what we have right now. Except Brexit and Trump. You have every right to be a bit miffed about that.

Becky: I’ve learned an awful lot in 2016, most important of which is probably to stop caring what people think of me. Life is really too short to do things or not do things for others’ benefits and you waste too much time worrying what people think when your life is all your own, nobody else’s.

Harriet: I have learned of the importance of having a positive outlook despite the inevitable struggles that life throws at every one of us. Check out this fabulous blog post by the lovely Betsie, which I have found to be particularly relatable and inspiring (http://betsieburgess.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/16-things-i-learnt-in-2016.html).

Izzy: Again I agree with Harriet! 2016 has taught me that I can be an independent woman and actually enjoy it! It has solidified my beliefs, I’ve made incredible friends and had a great time, so would love to keep 2017 as best I can! 

Thanks everyone for your time, and I hope you all have a wonderful New Year!