burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Lighten Up Your Wardrobe This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

University accommodation is not known for its amazing storage and wardrobe spaces. Many of us have trouble fitting all our clothes in or finding things to wear every single morning. From time to time we all think we should purge our wardrobe and buy everything anew. But there is no need to go full on Scandi minimalist or throw away all your belongings. We have compiled a number of tips that have worked best for our wardrobe revamps for you. There is no strict plan. You can do it by tracking what you wear the most for a month and gradually throwing away your tattered tank tops …

Step 1: Give up the guilt

We are all guilty of overspending online and hoarding clothes that we loved once but never wear anymore. It is okay if you cannot create an extremely edited capsule wardrobe. If you can make your wardrobe the tiniest bit breezier, than you will achieve your goal.

Step 2: Pinpoint your personal style

Knowing your style will help you group together the clothes you wear most. If you have a very casual style, perhaps next time you go home consider taking a few of your fancier dresses and button down shirts with you and bringing back a couple more sportier items to university with you.

Step 3: Pick a uniform

Unlike the school uniforms we all dreaded, an adult uniform is the best productivity hack out there. It is an easy formula to get dressed everyday. The best part of it is that you can bend the rules as much as you want or even forego your uniform for weeks if you are looking for more variety. A great example of a uniform is an A-line skirt paired with black tights and a bodysuit. This classic silhouette flatters every figure and it is comfy enough to wear to lectures but put together enough to go to a date or an interview.

Step 4: Stick to your basics and neutrals

The term basic applies to more than plain white T-shirts. For example, fluffy jumpers over jeans or stripy t-shirts could very well be basics for your wardrobe. The items that you can wear in multiple ways take the cake. This is an extension of the uniform, but if most of your clothes are in cooler hues like blue or grey it might be a good idea to buy basics such as coats and boots in black instead of a warm brown.

Step 5: Size matters

When it comes to fashion, cliché advice is often good advice. So if something is too small or just doesn’t feel right do not keep it. If you are uncomfortable in what you are wearing, it does not matter how chic it is at all. How you feel in your outfit affects your confidence. Just get rid of things you merely hope to wear again someday. On a side note, it is a good idea to stop caring about sizes and looking for right fits for your body. The high street sizes are often manufactured to fall within such a wide ballpark that two exact same T-shirts in Medium may be completely different sizes. Another bonus of wearing the right fit is that your garments will last a lot longer.

Step 6: Sell and donate the excess

If you have reached Step 6, congratulations! Your wardrobe will be a lot lighter now. It is a good idea to make use of all the amazing charity shops in Durham and donate your once loved clothes to a cause you believe in. Or, alternatively, you can sell them online to supplement your student finance. Either way, the newly found space in your wardrobe will be for a good cause – for yourself and other people.