nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Ways to be Kinder to Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

1.  Treat yourself

In the wise words of Parks and Rec, you got to treat yourself sometimes. Mentally and physically speaking, it is good to take breaks and occasionally treat yourself to that pastry you’ve been craving all week or that dress you told yourself you didn’t need.

2. Set goals

I find that when I set goals for myself and then fulfill them, it makes me feel amazing. By setting goals for yourself you’re both assessing your own productivity and its gives you a good reason to do the above – namely treat yourself. I appreciate treating myself a lot more if I have set goals regarding both work and social events.

3. Don’t dwell on the past

Dwelling on the past has been one of my biggest flaws. I could sit and think about that one thing I did months ago that I still feel guilty about and frankly it’s unhealthy. If you can manage to stop dwelling on the past you might find that you’re happier and there’s less of a weight on your shoulders.

4. Though it is difficult, try and exercise

People say that the gym just isn’t for them all the time and I am sure they believe it. To be honest I was one of those people. Then my boyfriend basically forced me to go with him and I feel so much better and healthier. I have more energy, my moods are better and I sleep better. There just isn’t a downside to exercise.

5. Learn how to take compliments

This is a big one for me. I have always struggled to accept compliments; it’s so awkward and weird and forced, I mean what is the right way to accept compliments? It is so important to let the people who care about you tell you how they feel and for you to truly hear them. This way you’re being kind to yourself by allowing yourself to see how other people feel about you.

6. Self-love

This is a cliché, I know but it is incredibly important. I read something when I had just started high school about how you should be able to look in the mirror for at least 10 seconds to know you’re happy with yourself. I’m not quite sure what the basis for this is but essentially, I think it’s important to look at yourself in the mirror and love what you see. Appreciate that you could improve but also love the skin you’re in and appreciate that that’s your body and that’s what you were given and it’s beautiful.

7. Stop worrying about your future

I know that I have spent the majority of my third year worrying about what I’m going to do next year and where I’m going to be and whether my boyfriend and I will stay together and absolutely everything that comes with the end of a chapter. But try and stop worrying about it – it’s one of the best things you can do for yourself. I told myself that I didn’t need to worry as much, so many people are in the same boat and I’ll land on my feet no matter what and it has done so much for my general mental wellbeing.

8. Take risks!

Buy that dress you thought wouldn’t suit you! Go on that date you weren’t sure about! Go on that night out that you weren’t quite feeling! Taking risks will make you feel you are making use of your uni time and honestly they can end up being the best decisions you ever made. I am a creature of routine myself but taking risks this past year has led to some pretty great things happening in my life.

9. Figure out who really cares about you

I’m not one for sugar coating things. So here it goes – occasionally you will be friends with people who you don’t really mesh well with and there just simply isn’t any chemistry. Drop them. Personally, I think having good people that you have a connection with in your life is one of the most important things that you can do. It means that when you go to social events and spend your limited free time, you will genuinely be having a good time. It will also provide you with the kind of support system that sometimes everyone needs. I have found people who will answer a call from me at 2am and talk with me until I can sleep and those are the kind of people that are worth keeping.

10. Appreciate your family

On that note, the best support system one can have is their family. My family is so supportive sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve them. The important thing is to not take them for granted. I know it is easy to, I mean your family is always going to be your family, why do you need to give them as much time as your friends? Yes, your family is there for you and they always be regardless, but letting them know how much you appreciate them can only make your relationship with them better and make you feel better about that support system, it makes you more comfortable using them as the ultimate support system. At the end of the day, they’ve known you your entire life, you’d be surprised how well they know you and how well they can help you. But most importantly, they love you.

Durham Law School Finalist