10 Hidden Gems of the British Countryside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge

Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge looks like something you would see on Instagram; a picture from someone’s exotic foreign travels to a jungle somewhere far away. However, just 15 minutes from Northern Island’s most typical tourist destination, the Giant’s Causeway, is this 350-year-old rope bridge that hangs 30 metres above the sea. Luckily, its maintained by the National Trust which means it isn’t so rickety or terrifying.

Angus Coast

The beautiful beaches along the Angus Coast are tinged pink due to the presence of a unique kind of sandstone. Forget the black sand beaches of Iceland or Hawaii, Scotland has an even better version.

High Force Waterfalls

Less than an hour’s drive from Durham is one of the UKs most powerful waterfalls. Whilst Britain is not typically associated with particularly dramatic countryside, High Force Waterfall serves to demonstrate that exciting works of nature can be found on our doorstep.

Durdle Door

This unusual and iconic rock formation is a result of hundreds of years of persistent erosion. Whilst this is a popular tourist destination, Durdle Door guarantees such a dramatic first impression that it is easy to ignore the summertime crowds. A visit to this beach can easily be combined with a walk to Lulworth Cove, another gem of the Jurassic coast.

Castell Coch

Although Castle Coch looks like something that would be found deep in the heart of Eastern Europe, it is actually in south Wales, meaning that you don’t have to fly anywhere to see such a magical castle. Poking out from in-between the trees, this Victorian masterpiece reflects the popularity of High Gothic architecture during this period.

Gaping Gill

This series of Caves in the Yorkshire dales offers some of Britain’s largest underground chambers. A visit to these caves has to be planned carefully as public access is only allowed twice a year but the sights from beneath are something not to be missed.

Tal-y-llyn Lake

Whilst most people choose to visit the Lake District in search of this kind of stunning scenery, a less well known but equally impressive version can be found in the Snowdonia National Park. Whilst the views from the road adjacent to the lake are certainly breath-taking, a two mile walk around the western side is a must in order to fully soak up the landscape.

Cairngorms

You don’t have to travel to Iceland to see the northern lights as they can be spotted in Britain and the Cairngorms National Park is where this is most likely to happen. With a bit of luck and a clear night the aurora can been seen in all its beauty from within our own country. Aside from this, the Cairngorms in itself offers amazing snowy views for anyone willing to trek to the top of some of its peaks.

Barafundle Bay

Often likened to something that can be found in the Caribbean, hidden in South Wales’ coastline is one of Britain’s most secluded and secret beaches. More than a half a mile from any car park or facilities this beach is left practically untouched. This lack of accessibility means that the beach is never rammed with British sun-seekers but is instead calm and peaceful.

Fairy Pools

Although, unfortunately, these fairy pools on the Isle of Skye are not actually surrounded by purple trees like an initial Google search may suggest, they are still just as magical. A 40-minute walk along the River Brittle will allow you to see a series of small waterfalls plummeting into perfectly clear blue ponds, an ideal spot for some wild swimming.