WICK: A Collegiate Clothing Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Have you ever wished you could go out wearing your most comfortable pair of yoga pants? Or do you worry about ruining your best dresses while dancing in a tightly packed club? Most collegiates think these thoughts every weekend. Creators of WICK have established a company that provides dresses that are both comfortable and washable—the perfect attire for some of your latest, but best, nights out!

Longtime friends Sanibel Chai and Liz Lian, juniors at University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University respectively, created WICK in June 2013. WICK features “the no stress black dress” with “100% party-proof fabric.”

Co-creator Chai, who was a former student at Duke University before transferring to Penn, explained how she and Lian first conceived of the idea to launch a clothing company, finding inspiration in the social scenes of their colleges.

“[Liz] was complaining about Princeton lawn parties and how hard it was to find something pretty and comfortable to wear. We were talking about how gross it was to sweat through a nice dress  in the summer or in a crowded, hot space (think Shooters) and how we wished there was a dress as comfortable as workout clothes. We had the idea to make dresses and tops and skirts out of performance material, and we started putting together a business plan that night and haven’t stopped working on WICK since!”

In addition to providing the initial inspiration, college life has also been an asset for the co-creators, as they have found a great deal of support and motivation from their institutions. Chai explained some of the opportunities and advantages that University of Pennsylvania has offered her throughout the process of beginning her own start-up company.

“There is definitely a prevailing spirit of entrepreneurship at Penn. It’s incredibly common to have a company and run a startup on campus. The professors at Wharton [the business school at the University of Pennsylvania] are so approachable and they have given me great guidance and suggestions. And then the Penn alumnae base is truly remarkable. So many high profile alum have given me their time and have spoken with me about the ins and outs of their company, the marketing world today, and even what it’s like to be a female entrepreneur. The Baker Retailing Center is specifically for business majors that want to concentrate on retail and Penn is the only Ivy to have this sort of program. I think the business and entrepreneur resources at Penn are unparalleled,” Chai said.

WICK is a company committed to improving its products based on customer feedback. Chai and Lian began incorporating pockets large enough to hold a cell phone in all of WICK’s dresses and skirts in response to suggestions from fellow college aged women. They also decided to include discreet built in undergarments and shorts to avoid the need for uncomfortable sticky bras or the chance of any wardrobe malfunctions.

“Our business model is to produce in small batches and REALLY collaborate with our customers to improve the product. This way we can crowd source for ideas (design AND technical) and make pieces they have helped to create. Our backless dress has a built in bra and our skirts have built in shorts. These are to eliminate the need to wear uncomfortable undergarments (adhesive bras, thongs). And also to eliminate VPL (visible panty line) and the unfortunate flashing that can occur when you’re wearing a bandage skirt and, say, climbing out of a cab,” said Chai. “Our goal was to create something that would look natural in a department store, but has discreet functionality.” 

Pledging to produce high-quality semi-formal wardrobe staples, Chai and Lian are striving to make WICK dresses and skirts a busy collegiate’s go-to outfit choice.

“We want WICK to be the foundation of your wardrobe. Let’s say you get invited to an event last minute and you have to get ready quickly—your WICK dress should be your go to because you know it fits well, it’s good quality (doesn’t look cheap), and you can dress it up or down with accessories,” said Chai.

Not only does WICK produce comfortable wardrobe pieces, but they are also fashionable and versatile. Chai explained that WICK seeks to create a variety of little black dresses with silhouettes that flatter all body shapes.

“You should be able to wear your WICK outfit with heels on the weekend and also to your birthday party with family,” Chai said.

But perhaps the best aspect of WICK’s products—the thing that sets these pieces apart from the rest of your clubbing attire—is that they are washable and dryable without posing the danger of shrinkage or damage.  The fabric can endure nights in a sweaty club and many cycles through your washing machine without falling apart.

While not yet on the market, WICK products are projected to be available for online ordering before the end of the semester. WICK’s skirts and tops run in XS, S, M, and L, and dresses come in sizes 0 through 10. All products will be priced under $100. Interested buyers can stay up to date by registering for the WICK newsletter updates at http://www.wickusa.com/.

“We have investors backing us and this is our first big publicity push. Our target segment is college women and that’s where we’re hoping to build the foundation of a loyal customer base,” said Chai.

Being college students themselves, Chai and Lian know the troubles that the college night-life poses when a collegiate is wearing the often uncomfortable typical dress or skirt. These ambitious young women have set out to accomplish a unique goal. Their commitment to producing trendy, comfortable, and durable wardrobe staples has motivated them to begin a successful clothing company with the potential for immense growth.

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major