Tre’Ellis Scott: Doin’ DUarts Proud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

If you haven’t already met Tre’Ellis (Tre’) Scott, you better get on that. Only a sophomore, this public policy major from Jacksonville, FL has made his way up the totem poll with all sorts of leadership and envious roles on campus (besides that, um have you seen his outfit? #HotStyle). Currently, Tre’ plays a huge role in the up and coming DUarts program. DUarts is a newly created organization that strives to embrace an all-encompassing Duke arts community, one that links dance, theatre, art, music, and more. Because this is its first year as an organization, DUarts depends on the skills and dedication of Tre and the Executive Vice President, Sarah McCaffery, (she was featured as a Campus Celeb last spring!) who is responsible for overseeing all of the other VPs and working with the President.

“There are various niches in the arts community – dance, a capella, for example, and also specific groups, like DefMo and Sabro. Oftentimes there is competition amongst them, creating a disconnect amongst performing arts. DUarts is here to connect and create a community.” Tre’ spoke eloquently about the purpose of DUarts and the importance it brings to Duke’s campus.

“Now there is a specific space to foster the arts community – the Arts Annex,” he explained. The Arts Annex is a warehouse of sorts, with plenty of rehearsal spaces and a visual arts section. He continued, “It’s a hang out space too. People can go there, chill, do homework, with a group, or alone.” Students have swipe access at anytime (aka you can finger paint at like 3am), and can reserve the space with UCAE.

Tre’ works closely with the VP of Finance on internal events. He also spends time with the VP of Collaboration in trying to bring various forms of art together. “There shouldn’t be a reason why a poetry reading and dance performance haven’t been brought together. We want to explore more collaborative efforts,” he told me. Maybe I should talk to him about doing a Her Campus Duke dance/art/music/fashion festival…?

With the Duke Arts community gaining more ground, Tre’ is your go-to guy. And he can be your go-to guy for plenty of other things. Have suggestions that deal with Duke Dining, Transportation, or OIT? Well he’s the VP of Services on DSG. Serving as the liaison between students and administration, and sitting on the Board of Trustees Facilities and Environment Committee, he plays a major role in the shaping of our school. Looking to rush or have friends who are interesting in Pi Kappa Phi? Tre’s the rush chair for his fraternity. Want to be in the Hoof ‘n’ Horn spring show? Tre’ is next spring’s producer. Want to learn more about Common Ground? Tre’ was a facilitator this fall. He has SO got it all. Want to learn how to wobble/dougie/werk it like no other? Tre’ can do all of the above and more (Okay guilty. I’ve seen him dance at parties. I swear my jaw drops as low as he does to the floor).

From Oct. 26 – Nov. 4, Duke will showcase the Duke Arts Festival, which will be located in the Bryan Center. DUarts is also hosting an event on the plaza, where students will get the opportunity to design and imprint their mark in answering the question, “How do you DUarts?” Paint, markers, and canvas will be provided. Check out what DUarts has to offer!

Chances are you won’t miss Tre’, probably out there rocking some other brightly colored pants.

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).