Top 7 Reasons We End Up Calling Our Moms at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.
While living away from our parents, we often forget to call our mothers to chat or just catch up. Rarely do we call our moms with good news or to tell her a funny story. When we are having fun, we are simply too busy to think about home and our parents. Rather, we call our parents only when we are in need. Here are the top 7 reasons we end up calling our moms at Duke…

1. Laundry help

“Can I wash this shirt in the dryer even though it says dry clean only?” “What do I do if my shirt shrunk two sizes?” “How often do I REALLY have to change my sheets?”

2. Complaining about stress

“My teacher is so unfair, and I hate it here and want to go back to high school when everything was easy and my teachers were my best friends and did not assign me four hour long problem sets”

3. Complaining in general

Homesickness, roommate drama, or just feeling down… when you don’t want your friends to get annoyed with you, your mom will never reject a phone call. 

4. Food

“What can I make in my dorm room?” “Can you please add food/flex to my account? … You don’t want me to starve right?” “Will I really get sick if I drink the milk that’s been in my fridge for two weeks?”“How long do I microwave ___ for?”

5. Online shopping

“Can I order this stuff off of Urban Outfitters? …If I were home you know I’d be going shopping, so really I’ve been saving you money for months” 

6. Feeling sick

“Advil or Tylenol?”

Your mom will always be there with a list of solutions to every possible illness, pain, or problem. 

7. Advice 

And then occasionally, we are just in need of a little mommy love…Moms seem to have the best advice on friends, boys, and more and always know how to comfort us, no matter how far away. So even if you do feel too busy to call your parents, think about how they must feel at home, waiting to hear all about your first club meeting or interesting class experience, and fill them in on something exciting.
Duke Contributors!