Time to Leave the Comfort Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

College is a time for trying new things and delving into experiences that you’ve never had before. That’s why my first ever semester as a college student features a theatre seminar twice a week. Just for a little background info, I have never been into theatre or anything of the likes. In fact, I think I may have only gone to a high school play…once…for extra credit. To be fair, I’m not as brave as I may have made myself out to be; a non-theatre buff diving head first into a college level acting class. In actuality, this class is a freshman seminar titled “Business Communication through theatre,” so I, along with my 16 classmates, signed up with the “Business Communication” in mind and the “through theatre” as a shrugged off footnote. To our surprise (and to some peoples’ dismay considering that three students were never to be seen again in the studio), the first words out of our instructor’s mouth were ,“Ok everyone, from now on, no shoes or socks in class. You are in a theatre class.” All thirty-two eyes darted frantically around the room searching desperately for another face that was equally as unprepared as their own. Luckily we were all in the same boat–hopeful young businessmen and women looking to gain some public speaking skills…and all clueless as to what we had gotten ourselves into.                                  

As the class met for more and more sessions, our lessons stretched further and further from any traditional classroom activity. We spent one session running around the room while exhaling and yelling out “HAYAAA!”, learning about both our vocal chords and being ok with looking totally bizarre in front of a crowd of people. In another class, we chose a partner at random and followed them around the room trying to mimic the miniscule movements and habits they display while walking. And still another class, we walked into the room, took off our shoes, and were then instructed to lay down on the floor as we were led through meditation.                        

This not-so-typical class style has quickly become normal flow. Walk in, shoes and socks off, prepare for anything to come. Our small seminar has become a friend group of its own…it’s hard not to bond over muffled laughs when demanded to dance your way across the classroom one by one.  I think I speak for all of us when I say that this is NOTHING like anything we’ve done before, but it soon went from a daunting class where anything could happen, to the most fun part of the day, where anything can happen.

So yes trying something new can be weird, can make you feel awkward, and can even happen by accident. But as a sixth week theatre student, I can confidently say that when I strip down to bare feet every Monday and Wednesday at 1:20, there’s no place I’d rather be.

Duke class of 2019 Writer and blogger for Montgomery County Newspapers Writer and blogger for Your Teen Magazine Writer for FlockU