Things That Aren’t Worth Worrying About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Everyone has the tendency to stress out about minor problems. Some things just aren’t worth it though, and letting them go enables you to have a happier life. Here are some examples of things you shouldn’t obsess over. 

Your weight: No one but you knows the numbers on the scale! Life is too short to waste time stressing over how your body looks. Focus on being healthy and happy, both physically and mentally. Whenever I’m feeling insecure, I think of Roald Dahl’s quote: “If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sun beams and you will always be happy.” We can all use a reminder every now and then to focus on inner beauty.

A bad parking job: It happens to all of us. You’re running late and turn around to realize that you car is parked way over the white line. While it may be a minor annoyance to someone (I once received a “nice parking, idiot” note on my windshield), it’s not the end of the world.

What you wear to the airport: This is one of those times when you get a free pass to wear sweatpants in public with no judgment from anyone. It’s unlikely that you’ll see anyone you know, so make sure to take advantage of this rare occasion. 

How many Twitter followers you have: I guarantee that unless you’re a celebrity, no one will notice this but you. 

Fixing your hair everyday: Is the time commitment really worth it? I personally would rather have an extra twenty minutes of sleep. Plus, this is exactly what cute hats are for. 

If the guy you just flirted with thinks you’re weird: If he does, than he’s not worth your time. Embrace your crazy; don’t try to hide it. Weird people make the world more interesting. 

Your life plan: There’s plenty of time to figure this out. If so far, all you have is “make it through Monday, eat ice cream, watch Netflix,” that’s okay.

Freshman at Duke University! I love my friends, running, buying things I can't afford, and watching Gossip Girl.