Taylor Doty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Year – Sophomore (2016)

Major – Public Policy

Hometown – El Cerrito, CA (Bay Area)

1. What was your first Duke memory?

My first Duke memory is having a cockroach climb up my arm while I was being interrogated by all the crewleaders my first night of pBuild (I got there a day early)

2. What has been the hardest part of being a Duke student?

Aside from the school work which is rather challenging, I think the hardest part of being a Duke student for me is being 3,000 miles away from my little brother.

3. What has been the best?

I think the best part of being a Duke student has been meeting really cool, funny, awesome people from all over the place.

4. Who is the most inspirational person in your life?

Hard question…growing up I looked up to Mia Hamm because I wanted to be a famous soccer player when I grew up but that isn’t going to happen, and as I have grown up I think the most inspirational person in my life would be my mom. She grew up on the boarder of Texas and Mexico and got herself to Stanford, paid for it all on her own and now has a family and a job at UC Berkeley. She is kind of a rock star.

5. What do you want to do in the future and where do you see yourself living?

I would love to save public education (go big or go home right?) but I am not sure what that will look like just yet. Hopefully I will be back in the Bay/El Cerrito/Berkeley.

6. If you could be best friends with any two celebrities, who would you choose and what fantasy world (ex. Hogwarts, Narnia, The Shire) would you live in?

I would be best friends with…(do they have to be celebs or can they just be famous people?) Madison Bumgarner a pitcher for the SF Giants (I would make him fall in love with me), and Jennifer Garner because she is awesome and is married to Ben who is great. I think I would live in Narnia, yeah definitely Narnia. Who wouldn’t want to walk into their closet and be able to enter a new world?!

7. Beyoncé vs. Anyone? Literally, can you think of anyone who could top her?

Beyoncé DUH

8. Do you ever suffer from FOMO?

Yes I suffer from FOMO (doesn’t everyone) – a lot of the time it’s because my friends from home all meet up and hangout because they stayed in state. 

Hey everyone! I'm super excited to be a writer for Her Campus Duke. Here's some info on me: I'm from Florida, I'm addicted to MTVs Teen Wolf, and I love Betty White. I hope that through my articles you can get to know me a little better and hopeful I can help you during this weird transitional phase of life called college.