yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Surviving the Fall: 4 Ways to Keep Your Cool This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.
While a lot of us are preparing to take on the imminent flood of papers, projects, and midterms, we often completely forget about taking care of ourselves. Amidst the chaos that approaches with each deadline, I’m definitely the type of person that slowly starts sleeping less…and eating more. And even when I’m doing it, I know it’s not good for me at all.

Luckily, over the years, I’ve collected bits and pieces of eclectic wisdom on how to deal with stress (and even enjoy yourself!) during the rougher weeks of the semester.

1) Plan out designated study times

I’ll be the first one to admit that I am a huge procrastinator. Because why do work when there are like 10 Buzzfeed quizzes I haven’t taken yet? I mean sure finishing a paper is nice, but don’t you want to know which member of Destiny’s Child you are? (I’m Beyoncé, by the way). Taking control of your studying habits is essential for doing well in your classes. Take a couple of moments to write down a to-do list for the day, week, or even month, if you’re feeling ambitious. Being able to check off things on your list one by one gives you the satisfied feeling of accomplishment and allows you to allot time in your schedule to take breaks as well. It also allows you to finish all your tasks efficiently and feel on top of things. If you’re like me and have absolutely no idea what it means to finish something “on time” or “early,” iCalendar and Google Calendar are lifesavers.

2) Eat, Drink, and Be Merry

Is it just me, or do I start seeing more and more people coming to Pitchforks for some late night grub when the workload piles up as the semester goes on? I mean, I totally understand. You’re staying up until the wee hours of the morning. An hour break spent snacking on a haystack and gossiping with friends sounds amazing, in that moment, but trust me, you’re going to regret this one. Eating and staying up too late may actually take a worse toll than you think. Eating late into the night not only causes you to gain more weight, but also leaves you feeling not so great afterwards. You also might think that too little sleep isn’t a big deal, but studies show that getting less than six hours of sleep a night can slowly deteriorate your mental skills and speed up premature aging. A healthy body is a happy body, so be sure to make healthy choices when you eat and get eight or more hours of sleep a night.

3) #TurnUp (at the gym)

I’ve always had a love-hate relationship with the gym, but over the years I’ve (reluctantly) accepted that it definitely has more benefits than drawbacks. Actually, I take that back. I don’t think the gym actually has drawbacks. Sure you’ve regretted eating chocolate ice cream, but have you ever regretted a workout? I don’t think so. Next time you’re at the gym, be prepared with an optimal workout plan. That way, you’ll waste no time. Have a list of workout routines and circuits you want to do. Take advantage of the exhilarating and intense group fitness classes that Duke offers every week. Get a personal trainer who can give you specific advice on maintaining your physical health at a constant peak. Love listening to music while on the treadmill? Create a Spotify workout (werkout?) playlist and #turnup.

4)Get Skintimate

Around this time of year, my skin always starts getting troublesome. Maybe I’m just getting used to the cooler weather and my skin is attempting to adjust to the humidity levels, but I always seem to breakout once fall comes to Duke. It could also be the increase in stress that comes with midterms, but who knows? In addition to getting enough sleep, be sure to pamper your skin this time of year! Use a good face wash, and if you’re like me and break out like crazy this time of year, use one with salicylic acid and exfoliating beads. Don’t forget to moisturize! Even if you have oily skin, keeping your skin hydrated is super important!  

Hey, I'm Lydia! I'm a junior at Duke University majoring in Economics and Finance with a minor in Women's Studies. I'm from Dallas, Texas, so I take my inner cowgirl with me wherever I go. I love learning new languages, making people laugh, and baking! I love writing and talking about my daily life, so be sure to check out my blog posts.