Sober Events on LDOC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

For most people the last day of classes, LDOC, is a time to drink in class, drink after class, and drink in-between classes. But even if you’re following this pattern of day drinking, there are some fun events happening all day long that you definitely shouldn’t miss. Typically these events are deemed “sober events,” but they are actually just really great events to provide fun alternatives, or quick breaks, from drinking. The list of events is LONG! So, here are some highlights of a few events that have been popular in the past and are sure to appeal to everyone (sober or not)!

7:30-11:00 am: ECC is sponsoring a Hunger Games breakfast in the Marketplace

8:00 am -12:00 pm: Chapel Climb

11:30 am -2:30 pm: Massages on the Chapel steps provided by the Wellness Center

12:00 -4:30 pm: Henna Tattoos and Caricatures on the Plaza

1:30 pm: Eating contest on the Main Quad provided by Sophomore Class Council and Keohane Quad Council

The list also includes free Cookout and Chipotle, a Lion King Sing-along, a carnival, inflatables, and other games happening all day long!

Last year I had no idea that any of these cool events were going on. All I could think about was trying to absorb the event that had been hyped-up since Blue Devil Days. So, freshman, you’ve probably heard over and over again that LDOC is not only the best day of the year… but one that that many people are likely to forget because of extreme alcohol consumption. And although that this may be the approach you decide to take, I hope that after reading this article and seeing all of the great alternatives to drinking all day, I hope you won’t feel like drinking is your only option on LDOC! So head out to the Main Quad early to stake out your spot before the concert, grab some Chipotle and experience LDOC to its fullest. LDOC should be the biggest celebration of the year; after all we work sooo hard during the school year, we all deserve some fun! But, make your LDOC memorable by attending some of these events… and as a result, actually remembering your day!

Her Campus Duke is going to be publishing articles specifically for LDOC, so make sure to check back to learn more!

Here is a link to an article if you want help deciding what to wear!
http://www.hercampus.com/school/duke/what-wear-ldoc

Photo Source:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scandaleuse/3796087014/

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.