Nutella Cinnamon Rolls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

I have a love-hate relationship with Nutella. While this may seem confusing and absolutely absurd to mostly everyone in the entire world, the idea of licking a spoonful of Nutella right out of the jar seems disgusting to me. In fact, the only time where I’m okay with Nutella is in crepes. That is, until I made these Nutella Cinnamon Rolls. Served hot from the oven, these soft, gooey rolls are loaded with brown sugar, Nutella and cinnamon, perfect with a cup of warm coffee or cold glass of milk. Easy to make and easy to store, these Nutella Cinnamon Rolls are sure to melt in your mouth.

RECIPE (adapted from Pastry Affair)

DOUGH

• 1/2 cup (118 ml) milk, barely warmed
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (or cinnamon sugar) 
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar 
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour

In a larger mixing bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer), sprinkle the yeast over the barely warm milk and melted butter and allow to sit about 5-10 minutes until activated (looks frothy). Make sure that the milk is not too cold that the yeast won’t rise, or too hot, that the yeast will be killed. Mix in the ground cinnamon, sugar and egg. Gradually add in the flour, mixing until the dough comes together.

Knead the dough for 7-10 minutes, or until elastic, on either a lightly floured surface or with the dough hook on a stand mixer. Cover dough with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise until doubled at room temperature, about 2 hours.

NUTELLA FILLING

• 1/4 (50 grams) brown sugar, packed
  • 1 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
  • 1/2 cup (150 grams) Nutella

In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon sugar.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 11 by 15 inch rectangle. Spread the dough evenly with the Nutella, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Sprinkle on the brown sugar mixture. From the longer end, roll the dough very tightly until it forms a log. Cut off the ends of the dough and cut the log into 1 1/2-inch segments.

Place the rolls into a 10-inch round pan. Cover and allow the dough to rise until it doubles in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Serve hot.

Source: http://www.pastryaffair.com/blog/nutella-espresso-rolls.html

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major