London Street Style: The “Layered” Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

London ladies love to layer.  Just as afternoon tea is a staple of British culture, layers have become a staple in the British female wardrobe.  Not only is the layering trend chic, but it is also extremely versatile for the fall and winter, since the weather can change drastically at any point throughout the day.  For inspiration, here’s a quick look at the main ways London ladies create their layered ensembles:

Black: So.  Much.  Black.  It would obviously be an exaggeration to say that everyone in London wears all black all the time, but it sure seems like they do.  While the typical all black ensemble can appear slimming and put together, at times it can look a little drab; however, British fashionistas tend to avoid looking too monotonous by mixing up the textures or fabrics of their pieces—for example, black leather pants paired with a black wool blazer.  Other women might throw on some colorful accessories to spice their outfits up a bit more.

Tights: Never had I ever seen so many women wearing tights before I came to London.  While black tights are probably the most common article of clothing you can spot on the streets of the city, many women put their own spins on the black tights trend by pairing them with less seasonal pieces.  For example, London ladies frequently pair black tights with denim cutoffs or floral sundresses, which quickly takes their outfits from summer to fall-appropriate in one easy step.  In addition, colored or textured tights are a great way to add a little variety to the common all black ensemble.

Cardigans:
While cardigans are surely commonplace in the American female wardrobe as well, I have seen many British fashionistas take cardigans to a new level by layering two of them in order to add a bit of an edge to a preppy look and stay warm.  In addition, long cardigans paired with figure-hugging skinny jeans or leggings are another great way to stay warm and emulate the layered styles without looking too frumpy.

Scarves: It seems that scarves are taking over the world, and London is certainly no exception.  If you want to fit in with both the male and female fashionistas in London (or anywhere in Europe for that matter), invest in a few cozy scarves.  Again, not only are scarves on trend literally everywhere you go in Europe, but they are also an obvious way to stay warm as the temperature drops.

One last note—while London is undoubtedly a city in which experimenting with fashion is encouraged, the one thing you must avoid wearing if you are looking to blend in is gym clothes.  Sweatpants, sports bras, running shoes—all these are taboo unless you are actually in a gym.  While I will admit that I have not totally stopped rocking the Nike Tempo shorts in some of my early morning classes, be aware that you will totally stick out (in a not-so-great way) if you choose to walk the city streets dressed as though you rolled out of bed or are ready for a workout.

Photo sources:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G8Ve0gWfJvc/TWLQs-MrI1I/AAAAAAAAAN8/MQfp7ZqC5K…

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/–bMQi7DYdVo/TWmImg1nwMI/AAAAAAAAApo/O…

http://internationalstreetstyle.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/lucinda_gl_0…

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.