LDOC 2017: One for the Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Every year, on the last day of classes, Duke students celebrate with food, parties, and a concert. LDOC (which stands for “Last Day of Classes,” if you didn’t already know) is a guaranteed good time for all, with many professors even cancelling class that day. This year, LDOC will be on Wednesday, April 26 – just a few weeks away!!!

For first-year students like myself who have yet to experience LDOC, it’s going to be quite the day. Unlike other Duke events where students just need their Duke cards to get in, the LDOC concert requires a wristband that must be picked up before the concert (typically a week before the event itself). This year’s LDOC will feature bouncy castles and screen printing, along with many other fun activities that students can participate in as they celebrate the end of the school year.

All of these exciting events lead up to the highlight of LDOC – the concert. LDOC 2017 will be headlined by rapper Tory Lanez, whose song “Luv” was nominated for a Grammy this year. The most exciting artist that will be performing at LDOC isn’t the headliner, however; it’s eighteen-year-old pop artist Daya. You may have heard her songs “Hide Away” and “Sit Still, Look Pretty” on the radio – I know I certainly have. Her most noteworthy song, however, is her collaboration with The Chainsmokers, “Don’t Let Me Down,” which won a Grammy Award for Best Dance Recording this year. This marks the first time that a Grammy Award-winning artist performs at LDOC. Also featured are electronic dance music group Cheat Codes, who recently collaborated with Demi Lovato, and synthpop group Panama Wedding, best known for their single “All of the People.”

The LDOC lineup was announced at a Krafthouse karaoke competition which also raised money for the Duke Children’s Hospital. Lots of changes are being made for this year’s LDOC, such as partnerships with the Women’s Center, DuWell, and the Nicholas School of the Environment, with plans to make LDOC both safer and more environmentally conscious. All of these changes, combined with LDOC’s first Grammy-winning performer, will secure this year’s LDOC’s place in Duke history.