It’s Handled: Why You Should Watch Scandal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Unless you’ve been living in a hole in Perkins for the past four years, you’ve heard of the TV show Scandal, created by Grey’s Anatomy writer Shonda Rhimes. Starring Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope, this show traces the activities of Olivia’s crisis management firm, Pope and Associates. Oh yeah, and Olivia just happens to be having an affair with her ex-boss, the president of the United States. Although I’m sure you’ve heard of this drama, if you’re like me, you have a huge list of shows that you’ve been planning to watch on Netflix but just haven’t had the time. Here’s why I think you should move Scandal to the top of your list.

Olivia Pope will be your new role model.

From her signature catchphrase, “It’s handled,” you can tell that Olivia is the kind of person who gets stuff done. She carries herself with authority, and everyone on the show respects her. A bit of a workaholic, she’s a strong, successful woman in the traditionally male-dominated D.C. political scene. No job is too big for her, and she doesn’t back down to anyone. She even tells the president, “I am not the girl you save.”

The guys

President Grant (Tony Goldwyn) and Jake Ballard (Scott Foley), Olivia’s love interest later on in the series, are reason enough to watch the show. They are so attractive that you won’t be able to stop yourself from clicking “next episode” just to see their faces again. Your only problem will be deciding which one you love more (trust me, it’s not easy).

Pope and Associates

The camaraderie among the workers at Olivia’s firm is just too good. Known as the gladiators because they fight to expose the truth, these coworkers have each other’s backs no matter what and are fervently loyal to Olivia. Oh, and not to mention, they are all brilliant, solving the most complex cases with their computer skills and connections to powerful people.

The unexpectedly lovable characters

Nothing warms my heart like a tough guy who actually has a sweet side. Huck, a Pope and Associates employee and former spy for a secret government agency, seems distant and just downright scary — until you learn how Olivia helped him reshape his life and how loyal he is to her. Also, President Grant’s Chief of Staff Cyrus Beene appears to be a ruthless political monster until it’s revealed that he has a close relationship with Olivia. Basically, everyone has a soft spot for Olivia Pope.

All of these elements combined with the classic twists and turns of a Shonda Rhimes drama make Scandal a must-watch show. Don’t be left out of the conversation when your friends are discussing Olivia’s latest badass move; start watching Scandal and see what all the hype is about. 

Freshman at Duke University! I love my friends, running, buying things I can't afford, and watching Gossip Girl.