Humans of Duke: Sarah Romans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Name: Sarah Romans

Major: Neuroscience

Year: 2019

Hometown: St. Paul, MN

1. What are you most excited about when it comes to winter break?

I’m really excited to see my family and all of my cousins. Winter break is usually the only time that we’re all together, and we always have so much fun during the holidays.

2. How do you celebrate the holiday season?

Typically we celebrate Christmas Eve at my house and Christmas at my cousins’ house. Christmas always ends with some pretty enthusiastic karaoke, and that’s a tradition that I really like.

3. What home-cooked meal are you most excited for?

My aunt’s lasagna. She makes it every year for Christmas and I love it!

4. How do you typically ring in the new year?

My family and my cousins split into teams and play trivial pursuit, which I’m very bad at, but my family is very competitive and it always ends up being a funny and high-energy game. We watch the ball drop, which is only at 11pm central time, and then celebrate again at midnight our time.

5. Any New Year resolutions you have planned?

Drink more water! I’ve been really bad about that recently and want to make sure that I’m drinking enough water every day.

6. What made you rush SLGs your freshman year?

I knew that I wanted to be in a living group, and I really liked the atmosphere of SLGs. At the SLG info session I met a lot of people who seemed really great and a lot of my friends were rushing SLGs, so it seemed like the best decision for me.

7. What’s your favorite part about being in Maxwell?

I love being able to live with so many of my friends and the sense of community.

8. Are you an indoors or outdoors person?

Outdoors!! I love camping and hiking and snowboarding and really just doing anything outside. One of my favorite things to do is go backpacking, and I absolutely love mountains.

9. What’s the best trip you’ve been on?

The summer after my senior year of high school, I went backpacking for six weeks in northern Alaska with a group of six other girls, and it was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had.

10. What’s been your favorite 2016 memory?

This summer I worked at a camp leading backpacking and canoeing trips for mostly 11-14 year old girls, and leading my first trip was really fun.

I am a senior at Duke University studying psychology and history, and I have been writing with Her Campus since I was a freshman. Having this incredible community of empowering women to build me up when I need support and to give me an outlet when I need to vent has been one of the greatest aspects of my Duke career! I am so sad to leave them soon, but I am excited to pursue my J.D. at Georgetown in the fall!