Humans of Duke: Brandon Dawson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Name: Brandon Dawson

Year: 2020

Major: Public Policy

Hometown: Townsend, Delaware

1. What’s your favorite joke?

• Q: What did one casket say to the other?
  • A: Is that you coffin’?

2. If you never had to sleep, what would you do with that extra time?

I would read. In the hustle and bustle of every day life, I often find it very hard to just sit down and read for a while. There are so many books that I would love to read but have never found the time for.

3. What do you admire most about a person?

I love a good sense of humor. It’s so valuable to have someone who can lighten the mood by making people laugh. I’ve always admired the people who know how to make others smile, no matter the circumstance.

4. What is your favorite Duke memory?

One of my favorite memories was attending Me Too Monologues. Before coming to Duke, I had heard about the show and was excited to see how supportive the Duke Community was of the arts. Hearing passionate stories produced and performed by Duke students has a powerful impact that reaches students on a personal level.

5. If you had to participate in an Olympic sport, what would you do?

I’ve always wanted to attempt pole vaulting. I joined my high school’s track and field team with the hopes of becoming a pole vaulter. Unfortunately, we never got a coach for that, so I was stuck with jumping hurdles.

6. What makes you smile?

My younger siblings! I don’t get to see my brother and sister that often, but when I do, it never fails to brighten my day and make me smile.

7. What’s one thing you would tell this year’s freshmen class?

Use this year to focus on yourself. It’s easy to get caught up in trying to make friends and please the people around you, but make sure to do the things that make you happy. For many of you, this is your time spending significant time away from home, and for some, your first time away from anyone you know. While it’s important to make friends and have positive social interactions, you also want to use this time to try new things and explore what you’re passionate about.

8. People watching—yea or nay?

Yea!

9. If you could live in any fictional world, what would it be and why?

The world of SpongeBob! I always grew up watching the show and who wouldn’t want to live under the sea, and find out just how great a Krabby Patty tastes?

10. What would you like to see President Vincent Price do?

I want to see President Price value the student voice. And not just by recognizing a select few student organizations on campus, but all students. I want to see him find ways to reach students who aren’t involved with the Chronicle or Duke Student Government, and hear the concerns of our diverse body of students.

11. What is one thing on your bucket list?

I want to see the Northern Lights. It’s something we’ve learned about and seen in movies since we were young, and I’ve always wanted the opportunity to see them in person.

12. Would you rather have a little of a great thing or a lot of a good thing?

A little of a great thing.

I am a senior at Duke University studying psychology and history, and I have been writing with Her Campus since I was a freshman. Having this incredible community of empowering women to build me up when I need support and to give me an outlet when I need to vent has been one of the greatest aspects of my Duke career! I am so sad to leave them soon, but I am excited to pursue my J.D. at Georgetown in the fall!