How to Survive in Florence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

We showed up at JFK aiport in our sundresses and Rayban sunglasses with our survival guides to Florence from our camp friends, sisters, and big big bigs. We knew we packed everything right, we already knew everywhere to go, and we definitely knew we would single-handedly run Florence.  After arriving and lugging our suitcases up 7 flights of stairs in strappy sandals, we realized that there were a few things we would need to learn on our own.  So, here is our very own Florence survival guide.

1. Going with the “Flo”

You think Durham is slow? Try getting a chopped salad here in Florence! After getting lost for hours, we finally got to the place all of our guides indicated as a “quick lunch spot.” On the verge of eating our arms, we quickly came to realize that nothing in Florence is done with any sense of urgency. This idea was confirmed when our professor arrived 46 minutes late to class because she was leisurely sipping a cappuccino in the café. After training ourselves to get from East Campus to Science Drive in 20 minutes, we are definitely not used to the slow pace of Florence. We finally learned that a 9.00 reservation means 9:15 at the earliest, and if a waiter tells you there is a 1-minute wait, he actually means around 45 minutes. But we are gradually learning that our time abroad is short, and taking it slow might not be the worst thing after all!

2. Joining a Gym

After a few too many plates of pasta and realizing that wine is cheaper than water, we decided it was about time to join a gym. We stumbled upon KLAB, a hidden gem a few blocks from our apartment. Although we were thrown at first by the steep membership price, we were immediately swayed after seeing the smokin’ hot staff who work there! However, the Italians take the gym registration process a little more seriously than we do in America. We had to fill out numerous forms, go on an extensive tour of the gym, and put shower caps on our feet before entering the spa. We are also required to get an EKG to ensure that we Americans can handle Italian gym life! After completing the tedious registration process, we could not be more excited to finally flaunt our sorority tanks and high ponytails on the treadmills. Little did we know that Massimo would not be impressed by our extensive lululemon and Nike collections. As we dripped sweat on the treadmill in minimal clothing, we looked around and saw the Italians merely glistening in cargo pants, long sleeve waffle tees, and leg warmers! Nevertheless, we didn’t let that discourage us from returning day after day to our “home away from Duom.”

3. Taking the Bus

Trying to get around Florence? You have two options: Walk or take the bus. Our jaws dropped when we located our campus on Google maps (via data roaming of course) and realized how far it was, not to mention we were wearing wholly inappropriate footwear (i.e. gladiator sandals and Superga’s). Trying to be savvy, we figured we could sneak on the bus without paying. After learning this could result in a scary undercover polizia taking you down to the station, we decided a bus pass might be a necessary investment. Little did we know that these buses are nothing like the C1. They aren’t conveniently located outside your dorm, so you must give yourself 20 minutes to get to the bus stop where you will be dripping sweat and most likely watch the bus drive right by you. Even worse, if you miss the bus, be prepared to wait at least 25 minutes for the next one. Luckily we have discovered one of the few places to purchase iced coffee right next to the bus stop and that our professors don’t actually care if are a little late. This is definitely a time where you need to just “go with the Flo.”

Amore Always,

Jolie and Katie