A Guide to Efficient Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

I, like many of my fellow college students, am a pro at procrastination.  I mean, after writing a paragraph of an essay, I definitely deserve to be rewarded with an episode or five of Parks and Recreation.  And I can always justify taking a nap.  But even with my highly developed skills of excuse-making, I cannot help but feel a tiny twinge of guilt about my time-wasting.  Thus, I have decided to create a list, for both your sake and mine, of ways to fulfill your need to procrastinate while still getting something done.  And maybe, just maybe, by following this list, I’ll someday end up going to bed before 3am.

Exercise While Watching TV

One of the best and most obvious ways to excuse an otherwise unproductive activity.  By exercising and watching TV, you’re not only getting more fit, but also getting your fix of Modern Family.  And, in the words of the great Elle Woods, “Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t kill their husbands. They just don’t.”

“Staring at this pie physically hurts me…Oh wait, I’m just on an incline of 12.”

Read a Book That You Haven’t Been Assigned In Class

For some strange reason, assigned readings always have some inherently unappealing quality about them.  Maybe you’re bitter about the fact that you didn’t have a say in choosing the book or maybe it’s just because it’s not Harry Potter.  But instead of putting off that assigned reading for another four hours and scrolling down YikYak, pick up a book that you’ve wanted to read for a long time.  Even though you’re not doing the reading you’re supposed to be doing, at least you’re reading. 

Grab Lunch With a Friend

One of my favorite methods of efficient procrastination.  Food, friends, and conversation inevitably make for a great time.  So instead of lying in bed and texting your amigos, go and talk to them face-to-face.  While I know that this does require putting on pants, I guarantee that it will be worth it.

Explore Downtown Durham

If you want to go all out in your efficient procrastination, head downtown and see what’s happening.  At worst, you’ll grab a nice meal and head back to campus.  Or, if you want to become the most legendary efficient procrastinator of all time, rent a car on Friday and take a road trip.  Just be back by Monday (or else this wouldn’t be considered efficient procrastination). 

Take A Nap

Finally, if you really aren’t feeling up to doing anything that requires any effort, go ahead and take that nap.  Whether it’s a power nap or one that lasts five hours (known to college students as getting a good night’s rest), getting more sleep is never a waste of time.  As my mother always says, “Health before wealth.”  Of course, she also always says, “If you don’t get the grades, you don’t get paid.”  So there’s that.