free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Four Ways to Make the Most of Your Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Out of the many things I will miss about college, one of them is the opportunity to do whatever I want for four months out of the year.  Here are four ways to make the most of your summer.

1. Get internship/work experience

In today’s world, a college degree and strong academic performance aren’t enough to make you a competitive candidate during the job search. Summer is the perfect opportunity to get some internship or work experience on your resume. No matter where you work, you will surely develop skills that will come in handy in the future.

2. Travel.

Without homework and exams to worry about, summer is a wonderful time to fit travel into your schedule. If you’re interning or working, you can always make travel plans around your work schedule or take time off. I subscribe to e-mails from airlines so I can stay on top of sales and get the best fares.

3. Try something new.

The stress of school and extracurricular commitments can sometimes make it challenging to try something new purely for fun, academic or otherwise. I’m teaching myself how to long board this summer and am loving the opportunity to practice a skill I have always been interested in learning. From joining a recreational sports league for a sport you have never played before, to teaching yourself a new language, to learning how to code, the options are endless.

4. Relax!

Ten weeks from now, you will be back to the hustle and bustle of life at Duke. Regardless of what you have planned for this summer, don’t forget to take the opportunity to relax—after all, that’s what summer is all about!

Lopa is a rising senior majoring in History and working in legal department management this summer.

Lopa is a senior at Duke University in Durham, NC, graduating in December 2015.  She hails from Andover, MA, and attended Brooks School, a college preparatory boarding and day school in North Andover, MA. At Duke, she is majoring in History with a concentration in the United States and Canada, as well as completing certificates in Markets and Management Studies and Policy Journalism and Media Studies. She has worked as a Public Relations and Marketing intern for the Denver Outlaws in Denver, CO; Remote Production intern at CBS Sports Network in New York, NY; Public Relations intern at Regan Communications Group in Boston, MA; and Public Relations and Marketing intern at Buyers Brokers Only in Haverhill, MA. For the Denver Outlaws, she utilized her lacrosse knowledge and storytelling abilities and analyzed sports statistics to write game recaps and feature stories for the team website and blog, increased the readership of the team blog by using SEO optimization techniques and leveraging social media following, and marketed the annual Fourth of July game, which broke the Major League Lacrosse attendance record with 31,019 fans. For CBS Sports Network, she collaborated with the football and basketball features reporter about content for television features; assembled the best highlights for football, basketball, and hockey pregame packages; and coordinated team and player information and graphics for television broadcasts. For Regan Communications Group, she combined client research and creative thinking to write compelling press releases, media advisories, and pitches; created promotional and presentation materials for clients in the hospitality, restaurant, automotive, and health care industries; and conducted industry and market research to develop effective public relations strategies for clients. For Buyers Brokers Only, she analyzed high volumes of real estate market data to write market reports for home buyers, performed thorough research of Massachusetts and New Hampshire cities and towns to create comprehensive and accessible community guides for potential clients, and followed up with clients to ensure the delivery of excellent client service in real estate transactions. Most recently, she gained experience in legal department management at Argopoint in Boston, MA and in fashion blogging at Chic Consignment in Andover, MA. She is a die-hard Duke basketball fan, and her other favorite teams are the New England Patriots, Boston Celtics, Boston Bruins, and Boston Red Sox. She has been an avid reader of HerCampus Duke since the chapter’s creation and looks forward to contributing to the website!