Falling in Love with Morocco, One Cup of Tea at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Salaam Alaikum!

While most of my friends are jet setting through Europe during their semester abroad, I’ve been experiencing culture shock on whole new level in Rabat, Morocco. From Turkish toilets to eating with my right hand to hearing the call to prayer five times a day—my world has been turned upside down, inside out.

I came to Maghreb for several reasons, but mostly to experience the new, the exotic, and the strange—and despite many challenges, this magical country has yet to disappoint.

I’ve been living with a homestay family in the old medina of Rabat and learning both Moroccan Arabic (Darija) and Standard Arabic (Fus’ha.) Wi-fi is not easily accessible. The food is amazing but I’m pretty sure I’ve never eaten so much bread in my life…I’m craving Chipotle. The mint tea is always too sweet and always boiling hot and I always burn my tongue. Lots of couscous, no pasta.

I’ve never been happier.

Last week, our journalism program went on a road trip to visit some of Morocco’s most beautiful cities. Here’s a ranking of my favorite must-see spots:

5. Marrakech

For the tourist who wants a taste of the exotic without straying too far out of their comfort zone. This Westernized city has everything from casinos to clubs to snake charmers.

4. Ouarzazate

Dubbed the ‘Hollywood of Morocco.’ Come here to visit the country’s largest Kasbah and see the set where Gladiator and other American movies where filmed.

3. Essouira

Jimi Hendrix’s favorite spot is still Morocco’s hippie capital. A kitesurfer’s paradise with great winds, sun, and amazing seafood.

2. Fes

The old medina is a labyrinth of over 9000 streets and alleyways. Let your senses be overwhelmed with the leather tannery and food souk. Warning: you may be run over by mules.

1. Merzouga

At the edge of the Saharan desert…what’s not to love? A giant sandbox complete with a camel ride, Gnaoua music, and sleeping under the stars. Pure bliss.

Almost one month in to my study abroad program and I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that I am actually here. This place baffles me and surprises me and confuses me everyday, but I can’t wait to discover more about its people and its culture.

Back to drinking more mint tea,

Ella

Traveler, book worm, junior at Duke University. Food lover. Currently studying abroad in Rabat, Morocco.
Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major