Duke Students Abroad: A Guide to Fashion and Accents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s never too early to start thinking about studying abroad. I’ve pretty much been thinking about it since I graduated from high school. The idea of immersing yourself in a completely different country for a whole semester sounds like the perfect combination of culturally enriching experiences and some unforgettable adventures!  Over the 2010-2011 school year, 45% of Trinity Students and 31.8% of Pratt students studied abroad. With so many Dukies abroad, it’s important to know what to expect when you leave the Gothic Wonderland for riches around the world!

Traveling to a foreign country with a new culture and customs and can be intimidating, even the most city-savvy collegiate. This list will provide you with useful tips to prepare for any trip abroad–so even if you’re not planning to leave Duke for a semester, you can be prepared for any major destination trip with friends and family!

The Huffington Post recently published an article featuring the “Top 10 Most Popular Study Abroad Cities.” Here are three most popular locations and some tips to blend in with the local language and fashion when you make your visit.

1.     London-When Americans think of London, usually the first thing to enter our minds is the Royal Family. We all loved watching Prince William’s marriage to Kate Middleton (Waking up at 5 am? Totally worth it.) to celebrate a real-life fairy tale coming true. So it’s no surprise that London is one of the top study abroad locations. I mean, who wouldn’t want to find their own prince charming in the land of royalty? Guys who have British accents continue to be every girl’s weakness (especially mine!), but it may at times be difficult to understand what they’re saying. Watch out for words and phrases like “bare man,” which means there are a lot of people around, or “cuppa” (which is short for “would you like a cup of tea?”) because this lingo is spoken all over the streets of London. Now that you know some key terms, make sure you stay dressed for the elements. London is notorious for its rainy weather. Whether you’re touring the Tower of London, or scouting out a new suitor on Portobello Road, look to London street style inspiration and bundle up in layers to stay warm. You can also try incorporating a brightly colored scarf to your outfit to brighten those grey skies. Cheerio!

2.     Paris- Stereotypically speaking, Parisians are viewed to dislike people coming from America who “intrude” on such “elite” ground. But, that stereotype should in no way keep you from experiencing the beauty of Paris (especially since it’s not entirely true). Parisians are proud of their heritage and all of their city’s famed wonders. As you explore “the city of lights,” be especially mindful of maintaining your courteous manners. But don’t let stereotypes hold you back from experiencing the culture and people around you. There’s no reason why you can’t find a new friend at a café! One of Paris’ many gems is its influential status as a leading city in the world of fashion. From Paris Fashion Week to walking the streets of Champs-Eysées, everywhere you look you’ll be surrounded by the latest trends and fashions. Be prepared to dress up more than you dress down. Classic basics such as ballet flats and boat neck shirts can take you far if you use accessories to make a style statement. Also, try hitting up the nearest vintage stores because Paris loves to make the “old”, “new.”

3.     Sydney-Many would say that Australian and British accents are quite similar. But, after getting to know native Brit, there are subtle differences to watch out for! Australians tend to have a more playful resonance to their voice, and the slang is totally different. Some Australian slang includes: arvo (which means afternoon), sanger (which means sandwich), and seppo (which means American). As for the fashion, Australia experiences opposite seasons from the United States, which is something very important to keep in mind while packing! Get psyched for great weather and trips to the beach, so make sure to keep your suitcase contents breezy and light.  Plan to bring lots of pastels, faded colors and even a few bathing suits to prepare for those sunny days! Like their weather, Aussie style tends to be laid back. You won’t need to spend hours planning out your outfits. And last but not least, don’t forget your sunscreen. The rays down under are super strong, and the last thing you want is a burn getting in your way!

Image Source:
http://www.stucard.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/study_abroad_travel_324654_small2.jpg
http://www.healthinsurancesolutions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/London2011.jpg
http://www.europeinsideout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/617db45701243c80be4fb24dcd2af4f4cGFyaXMuanBn1.jpg
http://www.nswholidays.com.au/locationphotos/475w/region-sydney_city_centre-001.jpg

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).