The Dos and Don’ts of Away Formals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.
Don’t …feel obligated to say yes

The prospect of being the only living soul on campus for a whole 48 hours can be daunting, but you know what’s worse? Being 3 hours outside of Durham and then realizing that your date can’t carry a conversation, snores, and STILL thinks you’re going to get with him. 7 nights spent in the arts annex, and 2 in bed with someone you’re not that into, or maybe don’t even know, are not worth it. Use your new found time on the desert of a campus to explore those Durham eateries you follow on Instagram and finally figure out you’re going to store your life this summer instead!

Do…think ahead and get any work for the weekend done like…NOW

Sunday is the day of rest, or if you go to Duke, the day of writing that memo, working on your group project, studying for your 9th midterm in Orgo, applying for an internship, and finishing up last week’s lab. And unless there is a darty on the calendar or a walk up line to be standing in, that’s pretty much how Saturdays go too. So spare yourself the stress on Sunday night when you are sunburnt, car- sick, and recovering from your 48 hour drinking fest, and get working on that pile now.

Don’t…wait until the last minute to paint you cooler

If he asks you to his formal on Thursday…you have a decent excuse to skip out on the acrylics and mod podge. However, if you’ve been asked to a formal and are planning on reciprocating with a cooler full of goodies, the sooner you start the better. What may at first sound like a simple arts and crafts project will soon become everything you eat, breath and dream of.  The Arts Annex will soon be transformed into what was over heard being referred to as “santa’s workshop.” After attempting her first ever cooler, a freshman doused from head to toe in sand paper dust and spackle described the experience as “the largest labor of love I’ve ever committed myself to and hope to never again repeat.” Get your smock out and get painting.

Do…bring snacks for the car ride

So maybe you’re not a natural born cooler painter, it’s ok, chances are your date is more focused on its contents…especially if you sneak some snacks in there! Do a little research with your date’s roommate and find out his cravings for extra brownie-points from the moment you hit the road (or flavor-blasted-goldfish points if he’s more of a salty guy.) Another great tactic is to NOT do your research, make the assumption that your date loves all of your favorite snacks, and stock up on those instead :)

Don’t …be surprised when you find yourself lodging with multiple couples

It’s time to dial it back to junior high snuggled up in your best friend’s basement while you and your gal pals all simultaneously make out with your bfs to the sweet background accompaniment of The Dark Knight. Oh, did you think this was a romantic get away for you and your significant other? Sorry to burst your bubble but it’s all of your date’s frat brothers’ too! Ahh nothing like waking up in the morning to the sounds of another couple.

Don’t…throw away everything you know about your tolerance level

Just because you’re in a different state doesn’t mean your body will be in a different state than it usually is after downing 6 shots. You know your limits, and they still apply here. You don’t want to miss out on the main event because you blacked out before appetizers! Save yourself and your date the embarrassment and take it one sip at a time.

Do…give yourself a snacking pass for the weekend

This is vacation after all! Road tripping, staying in a hotel, dining at fancy venues, these are the times when indulging is encouraged, so enjoy yourself! After all, you have 2 whole weeks before Myrtle anyway, I’m sure you’ll find time to workout between LDOC, finals, and packing!

Don’t…steal someone else’s date

Should a prior agreement be drawn up, dated, initialed, and signed, go for it. Otherwise, another girl’s date is generally off limits. This is a lose-lose situation. Of all the fish in the sea, your date chose to take you to formal and probs spent major bank to do so. Ditching him and leaving another girl dateless paves major way for drama, and awkward car rides home.

Do…thank you driver

No one wants to get behind the wheel, but somebody has to do it. Driving for hours sucks, not to mention when you are hung-over and have a mound of responsibilities waiting for you upon arriving to good ol’ Durm. So say thank you, hand-feed them some Cheese-Its, and maybe even offer to help fill up the tank.Don’t…be sad that it’s over, be happy that it happened. Take all of your memories and go out into the world and prosper. Unless, of course, “it’s all a blur” as retold by a student, still in the hazy euphoria of a weekend on the beautiful South Carolina Coast. Fill your roomie in on all of the details, call your mom and let her know you are alive, and sink into your beautiful beautiful bed that is there for you, and you alone.
Duke class of 2019 Writer and blogger for Montgomery County Newspapers Writer and blogger for Your Teen Magazine Writer for FlockU