Decorating Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Believe it or not, Christmas is quickly approaching!  Personally, I would never decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving, however now that we’re back from Thanksgiving break, Christmas is almost be here.  That being said, dorm rooms these days are not particularly spacious, however you can use the small space to your advantage and still make it feel nice and warm and cozy.

1.     Small Christmas tree for desk

While you *probably* don’t have room for a full 8 foot Christmas tree decorated top to trunk, I am almost certain you can make room for a small 12-18 inch tinsel tree to set atop your desk.  This small tree will also make for easy clean up and will ensure a smile every time you sit down to study.

2.     Deck the hall(way door)

Don’t forget to take advantage of your beautiful dorm door!  This door is simply a blank canvas waiting for you to take advantage of it!  Go back to preschool and cut out some paper snowflakes and tape them on your door.  Have a hallway decorating contest and see who can create the best snowman. Or go all out and make your door into a cozy, fireplace scene.

3.     Lights, lights, lights

I bet you already have plenty of string lights hanging around your dorm room.  Switch it up a little for Christmas and change your lights to icicle lights!  Or get some crazy Christmas colored lights.  You can also buy a spotlight that projects falling snowflakes onto your walls at night.  You can never ever have too many string lights in your room, promise.

4.     Wrap your pillows

This is actually a super cute idea.  Go to the dollar general or craft store and buy some ribbon or string (preferably in fun Christmas colors or prints).  Then go home and tie your pillows up as if they were “brown paper packages tied up with string.”  This idea is a super inexpensive way to spruce up what you already have, plus it requires no additional space or rearranging.  Win-win!

5.     Christmas scented candles

Nothing gets me more in the Christmas spirit than the smell of a freshly cut spruce tree, or freshly baked Christmas cookies, or a warmly roasting fire.  Candles or wall plug-in air diffusers can bring these scents to the comfort of your own dorm room.  Take advantage of the upcoming sales and the frequent Bath and Body Works coupons and make sure you bring your perfect scent back to get you in the Christmas spirit!

One of my favorite parts of Christmas is just decorating and seeing all the decorations everywhere I go.  Feel free to invite your hallway to a decorating party, blast some Christmas music, and deck the halls!

Hey! My name is Lydia Goff. I am a first-year at Duke and plan to double major in English and Biology in order to pursue a career in science writing. I was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin but raised primarily in the Charlotte area.