This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Dear Freshman…

A couple of weeks ago you moved into your dorm room on East Campus. At first, it may have felt like summer camp, but as more pictures went up on your dorm walls, classes started, and Marketplace began to feel repetitive, the realization set in that this is your home. While having only a year under my belt in no way makes me an expert, I hope that some of what I share might make your year a little bit easier.

On Academics…

Your professors are some of the smartest and most accomplished people you will ever meet. So, meet them. Not only are they invaluable resources on their subject areas, but so many professors have done amazing work at Duke and around the world, and for some, getting to know them might be your chance to get involved with that same work. If that is not motivation enough, you will have less reason to panic when you come across applications that ask for a letter of recommendation. It is so much easier for a professor to help you stand out in an application pool when they can write about you as a person rather than as a face from the lecture hall. 

On Activities…

If you are passionate about something, whether that be biomedical engineering, global health, or dogs, there is probably an organization to join. If you do not know what you are passionate about, try out some groups and you might find a group of people you click with, or a cause that sparks your interest. If you are completely overwhelmed and have no idea how to fit club meetings into your Netflix schedule, I know from experience that it is perfectly acceptable and easy to join activities sophomore year.

On Food…

It may seem like it is impossible to keep up a healthy diet, especially come midterm season. I am still figuring out the best food practices on campus, but I have found that going to the grocery store (Whole Foods and Harris Teeter are so close to East Campus) has helped me to keep healthy snack, and even meal options in my room for the week. Especially when you are tired and all you want is Marketplace cookies, it is more important than ever to keep up your energy with healthier choices. That being said, sometimes pancakes just make everything better.

On Exercise…

If you are intimidated by the macho men who sometimes seem to take over the gym, just remember that they are looking at themselves in the mirror, not at you. 

On People…

Thousands of some of the coolest people on the planet are walking around the same campus as you every day. Learning Spanish and biology might be useful in a small percentage of your life, but building interpersonal skills and making lasting relationships will be the cornerstones to your future wellbeing.